AXL 18w marshall clone - slight mains hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AXL 18w marshall clone - slight mains hum

So I've just bought a Chinese (AXL) 18w marshall clone (model name is Medway special...very similar to the VHT 18W standard) - it sounds very nice, but has a bit of low level hum (50hz, doesn't change with pre or post volume) ...not overbearing but I can hear it so it niggles me.

Just wondering if this is common amongst the genre?

Here's the schematic...

VHT Classic 18 Schematic.PDF

don't think it's PSU caps (as the hum is 50Hz not 100Hz) ...also the hum is getting into the signal after the master vol (because even when this is turned down I hear the hum) ...so that narrows it down a bit (possible tube issue?)

...you'll see there's some opamps at the front of the circuit...I'm not too happy about this, but if I bypass then I'll lose the pre gain control . As it goes I think the op amp's gain is too hot as it's difficult to get a totally 100% clean signal out of the amp. I was thinking of replacing the tl07 circuit with a Tilman fet amp (lower gain, better sound vs the tl072 )...anyone done this (or pondered it?)

try changing V2 first,if the resistors R56/57 are ok,try new power tubes,if they are original chinese ones they are the worst,JJ will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
      try changing V2 first,if the resistors R56/57 are ok,try new power tubes,if they are original chinese ones they are the worst,JJ will be fine.
      Since it's happening after the master vol (therefore from V2B onwards), I was thinking about using V1 into V2's socket (I don't have any spare valves as of yet).

I'd not heard of JJ EL84...but I will buy some soonest.....incidentally, do you recommend the same brand for the 12AX7?

Also, what are R56/57's purpose?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post
        Also, what are R56/57's purpose?
        Artificial centre tap to reference the 6.3V heater supply to ground.

Comment

Working...
        X