Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 SF bassman mod

Hi Guys,
    Thought I would post my latest project. I lent a friend (pro muso) my 2nd Gen Dumble clone in a bassman chassis. He doesn’t want to give it back... So, I promised to build him one. Found a 72 bassman and tried some mods on it. Dumble (clean) in bass ch and Marshall (JTM45) in the normal ch. Sounded great. Long story short, I built a new turret board, recapped the lytics (kept some of the old coupling caps for “mojo”) and gave it new Tolex. Just waiting for the custom face plate.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EFCCADC5-D5C7-4950-80FC-F89F5B40B03C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	939.3 KB
ID:	873478Click image for larger version

Name:	35CC1CDB-0F08-48FB-BAD9-87F9DECFB987.jpeg
Size:	816.2 KB
ID:	873479Click image for larger version

Name:	7B51DBCB-3963-4D3E-B3ED-CC05DF8896F9.jpeg
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	873480Click image for larger version

Name:	9B0C95C1-10F0-4010-8B80-0A125B564992.jpeg
Size:	1,005.4 KB
ID:	873481

Nice work!
    But please tell me the donor Bassman was irreparably trashed!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yip. Was used as a backline amp in a rental company in the 70’s. It was a silverface and NOT a blackface BTW. The iron in these amps is great for these types of mod and I believe it has a LOT to do with the amps response/tone.

Comment

Was it a Bassman 100, I have one of those, but I can't decide what to do with it.

Regards

Mark
        Last edited by mark; 04-30-2018, 12:35 PM. Reason: Politeness

Comment

No, this was not a Bassman 100. And unless your Bassman 100 is trashed, please don't hack it up and drill it full of holes and turn it into something it's not...

That said, your Bassman 100 has one less preamp tube than this one...

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Hi Justin

This amp is pretty messed up, it's just a chassis, I can bring it back, but I didn't think these amps were worth all that much or highly prized as it is a silver faced amp.

Regards

Mark

Comment

It's not that they're valued NOW or anything, but they're still historical and there are fewer and fewer bits of history left each year. And some people love these as-is. So, you don't have a cab for it? Is it electronically intact, as in, not modded yet?
              Mine had a ruined faceplate, and the cab was literally held together with some deck screws, and a few holes had already been drilled in my chassis, so I went ahead and added an extra tube socket to make it have an AB165 preamp. I don't see why you shouldn't do some work to it, and if it does already have extra holes drilled, one more won't do anything... I just don't recommend putting them on the front!

Justin

Comment

Hi Justin

The chassis doesn't have any extra holes, but there are components missing where someone tried to turn it into a Mesa Boogie.
                The front panel is messed up, but I have a new front panel. I had even though if just adding reverb to the amp.

The initial issue with the amp is that it cuts out after a while. I have solved that one yet. Though I'm keeping an open mind on whether to leave it stock or to make it something else.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X