Kastam echo 8 track tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kastam echo 8 track tapes

These use a modified 8-track cartridge with 200ft of tape and wider cutouts to accommodate the additional head. Does anyone know if they have a foil splice and will they run OK on a regular length cartridge? I'm thinking that 200ft is about 10 minutes at a normal playback speed of 3.75" per second, which is quite a short run. The one I have is still on its original cartridge and there isn't much oxide left, plus the roller is hard and the pads soft.

Can you just instal a "better" roller and pads scavenged from another 8 track tape? In general its also just 1/4" normal bias reel to reel tape in one. You can reload the cartridge by cutting the tape, splicing new tape to it, pull the other end until the new tape comes through, the cut and splice the new ends together. Btw... late production 8 tracks had hard plastic rollers. You might need to rough up the capstan with a bit of fine Emory cloth. We used to use a matchbook cover.

Comment

I'll give that method of reloading a try. I had it in my mind that the tape was specially coated on the back for 8-tracks so it would pull from the centre of the spool. I have some regular 1/4" tape so will see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
      X