Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has somebody tried? Wiring a 51 P PU partly with AWG 43 and partly AWG 42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has somebody tried? Wiring a 51 P PU partly with AWG 43 and partly AWG 42?

Has anybody tried to wind one coil with two different wire gauges?
    I had a little AWG 43 left and wound first 2000 turns with that. And then some 8000 turns with AWG 42. (DCR is 7,7 kΩ and ind. is 3 H)
    Sound is more trebly, but not bad at all. Haven't tried it with a band yet.

Originally posted by okabass View Post
    Has anybody tried to wind one coil with two different wire gauges?
    I had a little AWG 43 left and wound first 2000 turns with that. And then some 8000 turns with AWG 42. (DCR is 7,7 kΩ and ind. is 3 H)
    Sound is more trebly, but not bad at all. Haven't tried it with a band yet.
    I know at least three boutique winders that have production models of p'ups wound with different wire gauges in the same bobbin/s.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

I don't get, or dig the two gauge series concept?
      Why not go to 42-1/2, or 43 on the whole bobbin?
      Would be much easier to make.
      https://www.remingtonindustries.com/...5-spool-sizes/
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

It would, but I suspect the use of two gauges is for the purpose of spacing the inner turns one way and the outer turns another. Just a guess.

Comment

The OP will have to let us know how it works out. I'd think one would need to wind a series of PUs with identical specs to see if there was an audible difference not caused by other vagaries of the wind like tension, TPL, internal shorts etc.

Comment

Why switch up with smaller wire size with a pickup that has space to account for/& designed for awg42 ...........if you now why ...why do it .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
              Why switch up with smaller wire size with a pickup that has space to account for/& designed for awg42 ...........if you now why ...why do it .
              I'm the one who's asking. Why are you answering with questions if (?) you know about the matter?

Comment

From a theory standpoint, the only difference should be in terms of summed series resistance, which in turn just damps the resonance slightly, and as alluded to above, would be about the same as using 42.5 AWG. Differences of capacitance or inductive coupling would rely more on the insulation thickness or the winding pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by okabass View Post
                  I'm the one who's asking. Why are you answering with questions if (?) you know about the matter?
                  Usually, smaller gauge wire would be used when you can not get the desired number of turns on a particular bobbin/pickup.
                  I do this with one of my pickups ,start off with 42 gauge & finish it with 43 gauge but it's only to get a desired number of turns .Not really a tonal decision thing .
                  With that said , you can certainly make a great pickup buy using 42/43 . the bass slightly gets a little deeper but would be hardly noticeable if you are only doing 2000 turns . Good on you for using ALL the wire .
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Don't know if this would be of much help, and I'm not a pro pickup builder, but back in the 90s I had an American Standard Strat that had what I thought was a really weak bridge pickup. A friend had just given me a roll of 44ga, so I added enough turns of that to fill up the bobbin. Not sure what the DCR ended up to be or how many winds I added, will have to dig into the archives to find out. But I do recall it sounded fantastic, exactly what I wanted. So if anyone runs across a black nineties Strat with a plastic bobbin stock bridge pup with strange looking green 44ga magnet wire, that's the one.

One would think that the smaller gauge magnet wire trick could be useful if someone wants to beef up a stock pickup a bit, the thinner wire would allow more turns in what little space might be available. Could be a quick thing to try before a total rewind of an otherwise good pickup.

Comment

I’ve done that with several Tele sets. Both sounded great but I’m not sure if winding 42.5 (I didn’t know they made that size) would/could give the same results.

I suppose you could experiment with which gauge goes first, wrap ratios, scatter, tension, etc (you guys know) which may give control of variables in a way you couldn’t duplicate with a single gauge.

I’ve been messing around with 41 on some single coils with interesting results. Next I want to use 41 on a neck coil with the other 42 for clarity.

Comment

Tried a dual core. Way harder to make then the results warranted.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Dual core, wind them separately on chopped bobbins, which should be easy, add a extra base plate, glue dual bobbins to baseplate.

Comment

Yeah, perhaps it was how I built mine … the first core was wound, then linked in series with the wire for the second core. When that was wound the bobbin was assembled and the wire from the second core continued to wrap the entire bobbin for another few hundred turns until it looked like a standard single-coil pickup. The picture was right before the outer layer was about to be wound.

Comment

Working...
                              X