Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proximity of filter caps to pots, and 'quiet' side of the board, in an amp

Hi All,
    My current JTM45 amp project, the kit came with a 32uf cap they said they used in some build, for the phase inverter. The stock kit has a 2 x 32uf can for the reservoir and first filter cap (downstream side of the choke), and a 2 x 16uf can for the stock phase inverter and preamp circuit. They also have a spot on the turret board, right in the middle for a big filter cap for the preamp. The one I have is 16uf 475v.

So, looking at options, the 32 x 32 will leave the way it is (either side of the choke). Can anyone see any problem with the following setup:

- Use the 16uf I have for the preamp, and mount it on the board, the last filter cap:
    http://marstran.com/JTM45.gif

Then drill a hole under the board, on one side of the choke, towards where the pots are located. Mount the cap on the top of the chassis with one of those cool clamp brackets, and run the wires up to where the filtering is needed right at the first dropping resistor. The wire will be very short, but the cap will be on the other side (top side) of the chassis, fairly close to the pots, and the wiring will come up through the chassis, where the pot wiring is turning to go to the board.

A photo is needed, will get one with the cap sitting where I think it could go.

Is this asking for noise, or some other trouble?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.
Working...
X