Vintage 3-pin US plug for Gibson EH-125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage 3-pin US plug for Gibson EH-125

I've got an EH-125 which has been in an attic for 50-odd years. Looks pretty much untouched. I traced the circuit and everything makes sense - although it doesn't seem to match the available EH-125 drawings.

I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. But I want to put an earthed power lead on it. I'm going to use 3-core fabric covered wire. I doubt there's any such thing as a period correct 3 pin power plug. (I'm not in the US BTW). Anyone have any suggestions as to the nearest thing to a period correct mains plug? Clues to possible sources also welcome

Since most, if not all, amps of that era didn't have grounded plugs, good luck finding anything. If it were me, I'd just install a modern AC cord. If you are concerned about collector value or somebody wanting to put it back to original, just save the old one for them.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yeah, I know all that. I just don't like the way PVC cable looks on an amp that age. You can get modern three-core braided fabric-covered mains cable which looks the part. Just wanted a plug that might look better than those big cylindrical jobs.

Comment

I use fabric-covered cable quite a bit for vintage lighting, fans, radios and other electrical work. The new cable is actually quite subtle in that it disguises a modern double-insulated construction that's regulation-compliant in Europe. I too have been looking for a vintage-looking 3-pin US mains plug to go on various projects, but no luck so far. The rewirable ones are all quite large and don't look right.

Comment

Perhaps you could sleeve a fabric "sock" over a regular 3 prong power cord to keep the vintage look. Even a brown power cord might not look too bad. A friend found one of those amps along with a 1939 Gibson lap steel guitar when cleaning out a basement to haul to the dump for a customer... that was back in the mid 70's.

Steve A.
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
          X