Gibson 490R Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson 490R Repair

I have come into possession of a Gibson 490R which has no magnet and the slug side coil is partially unwound (and that which was removed was discarded). Previous owner tried to swap magnets and it all went south from there apparently. Inner winding broke at the point of insertion, etc. Free to me. But I am in no way set up to wind pups.

So...does anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to get this repaired (volunteers for fair $$$? Rewind of one coil, and maybe add an A5 or A05 magnet (I do not like the A2 there either), stick cover back on & done deal.

Any leadership & guidance
    would be appreciated.

Regards,

Archie.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...ckup-specs.pdf
    You can wind one coil, or wind them both to any specs you want.
    Potted or left unpotted.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks for the specs, big tee. So...since I have nothing insofar as winding setup, I should be in the proverbial ballpark if I 'Rube Goldberg' up some sort of winding apparatus (I'll research & see what some others have done), get my hands on some wire of the appropriate gauge & type & get within the resistance window.

I'll try...should be interesting.

Comment

The 490R's have varied from year to year but here is what Gibson posted in their listing for the 2017 Studio T.

Les Paul Studio 2017 T

Steve A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-05-19-01-08-24_20180519011021836.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	849582
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Strangely enough, most specs of the 490R look correct.

Somebody at Gibson must've made a mistake...
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

IMO that is too many turns for a neck pickup with a cover, for my taste.
            You can end up with mud if you're not careful.
            I prefer 5000 turns or less for a neck pickup, especially with a cover, & 21 or 22 fret neck!!
            Probably be OK for a 24 fret neck.
            YMMV
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              IMO that is too many turns for a neck pickup with a cover, for my taste.
              You can end up with mud if you're not careful.
              T
              5250 (42 AWG) with the right TPL does not sound too muddy with a fully charged A2, or especially with fully charged a A5 with/or/without cover IMO.
              Last edited by Jim Darr; 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM.
              =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

whatever you like!
                Too dark for my taste, and liking! Especially on the big open strings!
                That's why we custom hand wind, to get the sound we each like best!
                I prefer more of the Seth Lover, Pearly Gates tone, in the 7.2 - 7.4K range (for a neck pickup)!
                T
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  whatever you like!
                  Too dark for my taste, and liking! Especially on the big open strings!
                  That's why we custom hand wind, to get the sound we each like best!
                  I prefer more of the Seth Lover, Pearly Gates tone, in the 7.2 - 7.4K range (for a neck pickup)!
                  T
                  I concur. The only way to make a 490R in the neck position useful at least, is to change the magnet to an A3. Which it actually doesn't sounds half bad... YMMV.
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

Each winder, and their customer, hears things a little differently AND wants different things. Subjectivity and objectiveness often become blurred. Which is exactly why we are having this discussion. And, that is the reason that there are literally 100s, if not 1000s of HB variants being wound around the globe. The only thing that really matters is how it sounds, to guitarist, in a guitar.

And we, winders, have our little tricks up our sleeves to brighten, darken, add/remove sparkle, add/less distortion, mellow, etc, to our winds.

Also, these discussions, with varying opinions are really a good thing.

Thanks for everyone's input
                    Last edited by Jim Darr; 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM.
                    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

With a More efficient/perfect tpl the specs posted may be true . in the Bridge it may be a little thin . YMMV
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
                      X