Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody review this diagram?

Hey, fellas.
    I got a custom wiring diagram from guitar electronics guys and last night after putting everything together, it's not working out. The bridge position seems to be shorted out and all three pickups are engaged in the 5th position. Can somebody take a look at it?
    Just to clarify this is for a Robbie Robertson style strat, so the middle and bridge are next to each other to form a humbucker.

-I'm sorry, I've realized that this is in a wrong topic. Not sure if I would be able to move this thread over to guitar tech.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bklynghost; 05-27-2018, 12:39 AM. Reason: Whoops

It sounds as if your issue is with the switch wiring.

Drawings are nice to have but you can't beat an ohm meter when it comes to figuring out what the switch is doing.

Comment

I'm familiar with a 4 pole/5 way switch with the commons at each end, is that what you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        It sounds as if your issue is with the switch wiring.

Drawings are nice to have but you can't beat an ohm meter when it comes to figuring out what the switch is doing.
        Yeah, I've spent the whole day with my multimeter troubleshooting this, I have a feeling it'll be a few more days before I get it working.

Originally posted by ric View Post
        I'm familiar with a 4 pole/5 way switch with the commons at each end, is that what you have?
        Yes, that's the one

Comment

Flaw in the late night wiring. Post deleted.

Ok, here goes

Pickup hots-nk=a mid=b br=c
          Pickup grounds- mid=d
          Ground nk and br grounds
          Tie nk tone to nk hot
          Tie mid/br tone to br hot
          v=vol g=ground 0=no connection

Switch tabs-
          left side top to bottom-
          v,c,b,b,a,a,0,d,0,v,0,c
          right side top to bottom-
          v,0,0,c,b,0,0,0,g,g,0,d

This oughta work. Let us know how it turns out. Sorry for earlier incorrect response.
          Last edited by ric; 05-28-2018, 02:33 AM. Reason: no d ground positions 2,3

Comment

Bklynghost please note correction to my earlier post.

Comment

Thank you so much, I finally got to sit down and wire this up and it worked perfectly. I can't believe you were able to come up with this on your phone, super switches are my kryptonite. Is there some secret to mastering the damn thing?
              Thanks again, Ric you are a lifesaver.

Comment

Originally posted by Bklynghost View Post
                Thank you so much, I finally got to sit down and wire this up and it worked perfectly. I can't believe you were able to come up with this on your phone, super switches are my kryptonite. Is there some secret to mastering the damn thing?
                Thanks again, Ric you are a lifesaver.
                I'm glad it worked out. If there was only one strat switch in the world I'd want it to be that one.

I draw my pickups and number/letter their ends then list what each position would need to work, then you end up with a list that can be consolidated (some letters always grounded etc). Then draw yourself two rows of 12 squares and lay it out.

We moved and I don't have my shop anymore, so layouts and this place (and playing) are my guitar time these days.

Enjoy that Robbie Robertson setup.

Comment

Just a heads up that they do make a narrower version of the 4P5T superswitches with none of the terminals facing out... great for tele control compartments! (I had to undercut one tele cavity with a dremel to fit the original style superswitches.)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Seri...wAAOSwMQhajhwK

Steve A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	849772
                  Last edited by Steve A.; 06-08-2018, 05:46 AM.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                    Just a heads up that they do make a narrower version of the 4P5T superswitches with none of the terminals facing out... great for tele control compartments! (I had to undercut one tele cavity with a dremel to fit the original style superswitches.)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Seri...wAAOSwMQhajhwK

Steve A.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49180[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks, Steve. The one in your picture looks like the one Allparts sells and is the only one I'm familiar with. I've stuffed one in my Tele, tight fit side to side and to bottom. I like putting something nonconductive on the cavity shield under it.

Comment

Originally posted by ric View Post
                      Thanks, Steve. The one in your picture looks like the one Allparts sells and is the only one I'm familiar with. I've stuffed one in my Tele, tight fit side to side and to bottom. I like putting something nonconductive on the cavity shield under it.
                      Here is a picture of the older style ones which are easier to wire if there is plenty of room...

Steve A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	superswitchel009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	849775
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...