Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Can somebody review this diagram?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    9
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Can somebody review this diagram?

    Hey, fellas.
    I got a custom wiring diagram from guitar electronics guys and last night after putting everything together, it's not working out. The bridge position seems to be shorted out and all three pickups are engaged in the 5th position. Can somebody take a look at it?
    Just to clarify this is for a Robbie Robertson style strat, so the middle and bridge are next to each other to form a humbucker.

    -I'm sorry, I've realized that this is in a wrong topic. Not sure if I would be able to move this thread over to guitar tech.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diagram1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	48954  

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bklynghost; 05-27-2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Whoops

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Jazz P Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wernersville, PA
    Posts
    12,200
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 4/0
    It sounds as if your issue is with the switch wiring.

    Drawings are nice to have but you can't beat an ohm meter when it comes to figuring out what the switch is doing.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    I'm familiar with a 4 pole/5 way switch with the commons at each end, is that what you have?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    9
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    It sounds as if your issue is with the switch wiring.

    Drawings are nice to have but you can't beat an ohm meter when it comes to figuring out what the switch is doing.
    Yeah, I've spent the whole day with my multimeter troubleshooting this, I have a feeling it'll be a few more days before I get it working.

    Quote Originally Posted by ric View Post
    I'm familiar with a 4 pole/5 way switch with the commons at each end, is that what you have?
    Yes, that's the one

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Flaw in the late night wiring. Post deleted.

    Ok, here goes

    Pickup hots-nk=a mid=b br=c
    Pickup grounds- mid=d
    Ground nk and br grounds
    Tie nk tone to nk hot
    Tie mid/br tone to br hot
    v=vol g=ground 0=no connection

    Switch tabs-
    left side top to bottom-
    v,c,b,b,a,a,0,d,0,v,0,c
    right side top to bottom-
    v,0,0,c,b,0,0,0,g,g,0,d

    This oughta work. Let us know how it turns out. Sorry for earlier incorrect response.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ric; 05-28-2018 at 03:33 AM. Reason: no d ground positions 2,3

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Bklynghost please note correction to my earlier post.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    9
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thank you so much, I finally got to sit down and wire this up and it worked perfectly. I can't believe you were able to come up with this on your phone, super switches are my kryptonite. Is there some secret to mastering the damn thing?
    Thanks again, Ric you are a lifesaver.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklynghost View Post
    Thank you so much, I finally got to sit down and wire this up and it worked perfectly. I can't believe you were able to come up with this on your phone, super switches are my kryptonite. Is there some secret to mastering the damn thing?
    Thanks again, Ric you are a lifesaver.
    I'm glad it worked out. If there was only one strat switch in the world I'd want it to be that one.

    I draw my pickups and number/letter their ends then list what each position would need to work, then you end up with a list that can be consolidated (some letters always grounded etc). Then draw yourself two rows of 12 squares and lay it out.

    We moved and I don't have my shop anymore, so layouts and this place (and playing) are my guitar time these days.

    Enjoy that Robbie Robertson setup.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,335
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 9/0
    Just a heads up that they do make a narrower version of the 4P5T superswitches with none of the terminals facing out... great for tele control compartments! (I had to undercut one tele cavity with a dremel to fit the original style superswitches.)



    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Seri...wAAOSwMQhajhwK

    Steve A.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	49180

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Steve A.; 06-08-2018 at 06:46 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    Just a heads up that they do make a narrower version of the 4P5T superswitches with none of the terminals facing out... great for tele control compartments! (I had to undercut one tele cavity with a dremel to fit the original style superswitches.)



    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Seri...wAAOSwMQhajhwK

    Steve A.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	49180
    Thanks, Steve. The one in your picture looks like the one Allparts sells and is the only one I'm familiar with. I've stuffed one in my Tele, tight fit side to side and to bottom. I like putting something nonconductive on the cavity shield under it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,335
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 9/0
    Quote Originally Posted by ric View Post
    Thanks, Steve. The one in your picture looks like the one Allparts sells and is the only one I'm familiar with. I've stuffed one in my Tele, tight fit side to side and to bottom. I like putting something nonconductive on the cavity shield under it.
    Here is a picture of the older style ones which are easier to wire if there is plenty of room...

    .

    Steve A.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superswitchel009.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	49185
    .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-29-2016, 03:31 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  3. New schematic for review
    By Howlin' Mad Mac in forum Theory & Design
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 04:49 PM
  4. Newb in need of review
    By Dr Iley in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 07:11 AM
  5. Review of Problem
    By Rattler66 in forum Debugging Your Build
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 02:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •