Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOX AC30CC2 Normal Channel won't work by itself

hi can anyone tell me if my AC30CC2 is faulty or if this is just how it is:
    If I plug into the normal channel I get no sound at all unless I turn the input link toggle off,

The manual suggests that would then mean I am just playing the "normal" channel by itself (without any input from the Tone Boost channel)
    But I notice that if I adjust EQ or volume on the Tone Boost controls, it still flavours the sound.

So in other words I have no way of playing the Normal Channel purely by itself.
    And depending on what position the Input Link toggle is on, I get no sound at all.

The Tone Boost channel seems to work OK.
    But I really would like to know if the Normal channel is designed like this, or if my amp is faulty?

Turn down the TB Volume control.

Does the EQ still affect the Normal channel? (it shouldn't)
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 05-29-2018, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Turn down the TB Volume control.

Does the EQ still affect the Normal channel? (it shouldn't)
      that does seem to work.
      But that sounds like it shouldn't be happening at all though right? e.g. that suggests there is no such thing as Normal by itself?

And is it correct that the toggle switch acts as a killswitch, e.g. no sound at all if it toggles one way?... or is that just my amp not wired right?

Comment

The 'Link' switch will give you the Normal channel (or not) along with the TB channel only when you are plugged into the TB input.

When in the Normal input, if you toggle the link to link, you will get nothing.

Here is the SM.
        The block diagram is on page 5.
        Vox_AC30CC2_AC30CC2X (2005) SM.zip

Comment

Thanks Jazz,
          I can't read diagrams sadly but thanks for your efforts in finding that!
          When you say:
          "The 'Link' switch will give you the Normal channel (or not) along with the TB channel only when you are plugged into the TB input."
          That would suggest to me that mine is odd, as when plugged ONLY into the NORMAL channel, I am also getting sounds from the TONE BYPASS channel?

Comment

First off, my answer was to your question about no sound when the link switch is thrown.

"That would suggest to me that mine is odd, as when plugged ONLY into the NORMAL channel, I am also getting sounds from the TONE BYPASS channel? "
            This part is why I asked you to turn down the TB volume.

The Normal & the TB both share the first tube cathode resistor.
            I can only assume that there is a coupling affect from TB to Normal because of the circuit design.

Comment

OK cool thanks for that Jazz

Comment

Every so often servicing the AC30CCX2's, and removing the Input PCB for service....I'll forget which way the board goes back in. You end up with the Normal jack in the Top Boost position and vice versa. The Link switch still works, but then it seems like the Normal Ch is behaving like the Top Boost channel, which it would be in that case. Short term memory problems strikes again! I don't think I've encountered any where the Normal Ch gets to have the EQ controls.

Is it just my ears, or does the 'Custom EQ' switch not do anything on this amp?
                Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

With link Off: each channel is assigned to its own input independently *.
                  With link ON: connecting on the bright input, both channels sound at the same time.
                  Connecting in the normal input: does not sound.

(*) There is a small crosstalk between both channels when they are assigned independently. But itīs assumed that the inactive channel has the volume reduced at minimum to avoid the added noise.

I think the Custom selector reduces the fall in mids that occurs with high bass setting (typical of the AC30).

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
                    With link Off: each channel is assigned to its own input independently *.
                    With link ON: connecting on the bright input, both channels sound at the same time.
                    Connecting in the normal input: does not sound.

(*) There is a small crosstalk between both channels when they are assigned independently. But itīs assumed that the inactive channel has the volume reduced at minimum to avoid the added noise.

I think the Custom selector reduces the fall in mids that occurs with high bass setting (typical of the AC30).
                    OK cool thanks for confirming that Pedro. that sounds about right for what I'm experiencing. It seems a weird design choice that the link would cause Normal channel to be completely silent if flipped the wrong way. but anyway...
                    The issue I have with the amp now, is that when I turn on my Hot Cake, the speaker gets this weird crackly/spurty noise (not the overdrive you'd expect, which also occurs and is fine, but an extra little unpleasant sizzly/crackle on top of that).
                    it happens at all volumes, but not on every note. The same pedal played through 3 different amps does not do this, only the Vox ac30cc2 makes the noise. I noticed the VOXac30cc2 also makes this same noise when I run my dod 250 gold reissue pedal, and also my TS808 tubescreamer. Again ,these pedals do not cause other amps to make this sound. Some people have suggested this might mean that the VOXac30cc2 Tubes need replacing? Considering how bloody hard it is to get to the tubes, I don't want to do that unless it is definitely the answer.
                    Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by auxjoel View Post
                      The issue I have with the amp now, is that when I turn on my Hot Cake, the speaker gets this weird crackly/spurty noise (not the overdrive you'd expect, which also occurs and is fine, but an extra little unpleasant sizzly/crackle on top of that).
                      The usual thing is that if you perceive that effect with an overdrive pedal connected to the amplifier, you can also repeat it without it. I recently had one with a pair of Wharfedale speakers and one of them was defective. Developing volume but sounding bad. It could go unnoticed without previous references of that same amplifier.
                      In your case I would try them individually.
                      Sometimes certain defects in the speakers are perceived more prominently with distortion than with clean sounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X