Electronic Organ Servicing Guide.....Robert Middleton.....1971

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Organ Servicing Guide.....Robert Middleton.....1971

This might not be the proper place to post this......and if it is not, I am sure somebody will let me know......Anybody here on this site have this book or something similar to it?? that would be willing to sell it?? .....now that the previous organ tech has passed away last year, every church around for hundreds of miles are starting to contact me in the hopes that they can get their organ repaired...I have fixed a few but it would be nice to find a repair guide dedicated to organ repair.....as this area of repair is very new to me....any help or advice is greatly appreciated.....
    Cheers

Originally posted by bsco View Post
    This might not be the proper place to post this......and if it is not, I am sure somebody will let me know......Anybody here on this site have this book or something similar to it?? that would be willing to sell it?? .....now that the previous organ tech has passed away last year, every church around for hundreds of miles are starting to contact me in the hopes that they can get their organ repaired...I have fixed a few but it would be nice to find a repair guide dedicated to organ repair.....as this area of repair is very new to me....any help or advice is greatly appreciated.....
    Cheers
    i do have this but it's not for sale. It's similar in style to Jack Darrs book. I will help how ever I can. I lot of it is just amplifiers, and switches and cleaning keybeds. Out of all the organs I've have to service 0 have been tube which is what the book focuses on. The biggest thing is breaking an instrument down. like they do on a schematic. preamp power amp, etc.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Here's one for sale https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ele...ton/1018309860

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        i do have this but it's not for sale. It's similar in style to Jack Darrs book. I will help how ever I can. I lot of it is just amplifiers, and switches and cleaning keybeds. Out of all the organs I've have to service 0 have been tube which is what the book focuses on. The biggest thing is breaking an instrument down. like they do on a schematic. preamp power amp, etc.

nosaj
        Thanks for the reply.....I will have to service both solid state and tube organs.....especially the older Hammonds.....as there are a lot of them around here....the other models, Rodgers, Baldwin, etc are solid state units....for the most part.....so am I correct in assuming that you service different models of church organs? I will look for that book by Jack Darr....Thanks for the reply.....
        Cheers

Comment

This is a good manual (218Mb) - specifically Hammond, but there's a lot of general service relevance;

https://archive.org/download/HSM4952016/Hsm495-2016.pdf

Comment

Thanks Mick. There must be something going on here where I live....very high winds and pounding rain.....and I can't get it to download as it times out after a couple of minutes...Will try again later when the weather returns to normal......
            cheers
            P.S. Tried it again and it worked ok.....Thanks again...
            Last edited by bsco; 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Jack Darr´s book is about Guitar amps only, nosaj mentioned it just as an example because it´s written in a similar style.

Search for MITA (or something like that), it´s officially a wide range Musical Instrument Techs association but in practice 90% of what they deal with is keyboards, specially organs such as the ones you are interested in.

Join them, I guess there´s a fee involved, but well worth it because you get access to lots of data and experience (think Organs only MEF) , a good Technical library, access to hard to find parts, etc.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Calls for organ repair home-visits used to be fairly common but have thankfully dried up. Maybe all the owners are now dead. My polite decline used to be met with an attempt to swing me round; "but it's hardly had any use/its got a beautiful tone/it's got a lovely walnut finish/it's like new/it's probably just a wire off".

Oh, in that case I'll be round straight away...get the kettle on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  it's probably just a wire off".
                  This is my favourite of all time. In the many, many times I heard it (from a sales guy who took another shaky trade-in ), it never once was the case. It only ever was true when someone expected something much worse, as you would expect.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Nice work if you can get it............

I have a friend that has been an organ tech for the last 40+ years.
                    Mostly Hammond but all other makes as well.
                    He does house calls and churches.
                    Around here, there are very few that service these things.
                    He is NEVER slow/out of work.
                    Still a high demand for his services, even after all the years.
                    He has tons of service manuals not to mention experience.
                    He charges accordingly. $$$

15 years ago I worked with him for 8 months or so.
                    At that time he said he didn't want to do this anymore but the money was so good he couldn't see getting out.
                    We discussed him selling me the business but it didn't go too far.

BTW he plays keys too, VERY good musician.
                    He can rock a Hammond like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, I hadn't seen him for years and called on him last month.
                    Still fixing organs and changed his mind about getting out.
                    Somehow got renewed interest and passion for the work.
                    I think he realizes he is a dying breed and when he's gone I don't know who will step in.
                    Great opportunity for the right tech.
                    Very lucrative business.

When I visited last month, (and as always) his shop was full of very cool old Hammond's and Leslie cabs and other makes.
                    He's bought and sold lots of organs over the years and made good money on those too.

One in particular I remember...
                    We made a house call in an older neighborhood and the widow that called said her husband played.
                    Now he's gone but something wrong with the Hammond.
                    We go to the basement and there is an absolutely MINT late 50's B3 and Leslie cabinet. Looked brand new.
                    He eventually ended up buying it from her and later sold it to a local guitar player for a nice profit.
                    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
                    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

The electronic musical instrument manual - Alan Douglas

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015015424651

The electronic musical instrument manual - Alan Douglas ('2nd ed)
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Electronic Organ Servicing Guide - Robert Gordon Middleton

http://bookdownloadforfree.com/link/electronic-organ-servicing-guide/
                        Electronic Organ Servicing Guide
                        Robert Gordon Middleton
                        Size: 34.59 MB
                        It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                          http://bookdownloadforfree.com/link/electronic-organ-servicing-guide/
                          Electronic Organ Servicing Guide
                          Robert Gordon Middleton
                          Size: 34.59 MB
                          requires a CC to register.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                            requires a CC to register.

nosaj
                            Unfortunately Yes
                            It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                            X