Deluxe Reverb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmaf View Post
    Remember we're blind-helping you here. So if you tell us the problem does not happen out of the cab then you find that it does, you've thrown us off. First thing I'd tell you it's the tubes but if it didn't happen out of the cab then obviously not, glad you found that.

One other thing: if this is getting worse in the cab, means that when the tubes are upside down it gets worse, then there can be mechanical problem in the tubes.

Also tubes are microphonic, they can be obnoxious when in a cabinet, the speaker shakes the tubes which replicate the vibration in the output, this matches what you describe when you play a chord, the underlying vibration.
    Could it be a mechanical problem in any tube? Meaning all the ones having to do with V2?

Comment

• Originally posted by tyler8611 View Post
      Could it be a mechanical problem in any tube? Meaning all the ones having to do with V2?
      Don't know what you mean by having to do with V2?

What you describe, above volume 8 on sustained chords clearly sounds like feedback through the tubes, chassis vibration coming back through the tubes, etc. Could be a bunch of things.
      Valvulados

Comment

What you describe, above volume 8 on sustained chords clearly sounds like feedback through the tubes, chassis vibration coming back through the tubes, etc. Could be a bunch of things.
        I'll be tube swapping shortly.

Comment

He's only getting the bad sound on the vibrato channel, so V2 or any other tubes that channel goes through, like V4, V6, and power tubes.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• Originally posted by g1 View Post
            He's only getting the bad sound on the vibrato channel, so V2 or any other tubes that channel goes through, like V4, V6, and power tubes.
            Oh, gotya. Thanks.

Once he swaps tubes I guess we'll get a better idea.
            Valvulados

Comment

• Hey just wanted to finally update, busy weekend. The problem was solved by a swap. It was either the tremolo tube or phase splitter, since I did those at the same time. No more harsh ripping!

Comment

Hey just wanted to finally update, busy weekend. The problem was solved by a swap. It was either the tremolo tube or phase splitter, since I did those at the same time. No more harsh ripping!
                Really? After all that you'd swap two tubes at a time and forego the opportunity to pinpoint the issue? I'd have to know, but that's just me. Glad you got it sorted out, but I'd have to KNOW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
                  Really? After all that you'd swap two tubes at a time and forego the opportunity to pinpoint the issue? I'd have to know, but that's just me. Glad you got it sorted out, but I'd have to KNOW.
                  Good point but my guess would be the phase inverter. After 157 posts (just here on MEF!) I certainly hope that all of the problems have been solved.

Steve A.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I can easily reinsert the previous tubes, recreate the problem and find out which was causing it, and I will. I was simply tired of doing one tube at a time and didn't think the trem tube would make a difference because several different tubes had already been in there while the problem was occurring. I had never changed the phase inverter until yesterday, mainly because it's a JAN blackplate. So I'm quite certain that was the one. But you never know.

I'll reinsert the old phase inverter and trem tube and find out for sure. Honestly I just felt like playing once I heard the ugly distortion had gone. Thanks guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                      Good point but my guess would be the phase inverter. After 157 posts (just here on MEF!) I certainly hope that all of the problems have been solved.

Steve A.
                      I think so too, but I'll find out for certain and report back.

Comment

• Lack of high voltage is caused by open equalizing resistors under the circuit board under the dog house. You need to flip over the cap circuit board to get to them 220K 1W

Comment

I can easily reinsert the previous tubes, recreate the problem and find out which was causing it, and I will. I was simply tired of doing one tube at a time and didn't think the trem tube would make a difference because several different tubes had already been in there while the problem was occurring. I had never changed the phase inverter until yesterday, mainly because it's a JAN blackplate. So I'm quite certain that was the one. But you never know.

I'll reinsert the old phase inverter and trem tube and find out for sure. Honestly I just felt like playing once I heard the ugly distortion had gone. Thanks guys!
                          Sorry if I came across like I was busting your chops because that wasn't my intention. But I had been watching this thread pretty closely and watched as each issue got sorted out and its root cause identified. I'm a novice, so I pay attention to these threads and learn what I can from them, which many times keeps me from having to start a thread of my own. For every thread I've started here on MEF, I have easily solved dozens more issues on my own by searching for previous instances of the same problem I was having.

This place is a cornucopia of in-depth technical knowledge. The best-of-the-best techs, designers, and engineers in the world unselfishly offer their assistance on this site, and I think we owe it to the next guy to clearly show the resolutions in our threads, including info on hard to find parts and non-conventional problem solving. In the end, it saves bandwidth and many times keeps the pros here from answering the same questions multiple times.

So yes, please do swap those tubes back in there (hope you know which one went where ) so you can put a lid on this one.

Comment

Sorry if I came across like I was busting your chops because that wasn't my intention. But I had been watching this thread pretty closely and watched as each issue got sorted out and its root cause identified. I'm a novice, so I pay attention to these threads and learn what I can from them, which many times keeps me from having to start a thread of my own. For every thread I've started here on MEF, I have easily solved dozens more issues on my own by searching for previous instances of the same problem I was having.

This place is a cornucopia of in-depth technical knowledge. The best-of-the-best techs, designers, and engineers in the world unselfishly offer their assistance on this site, and I think we owe it to the next guy to clearly show the resolutions in our threads, including info on hard to find parts and non-conventional problem solving. In the end, it saves bandwidth and many times keeps the pros here from answering the same questions multiple times.

So yes, please do swap those tubes back in there (hope you know which one went where ) so you can put a lid on this one.
                            No problem at all! I'm very grateful to you guys for helping and keeping me on the right path so I could find the problem and solve it. I hope this can be helpful for anyone who experiences the same or similar issues.

I'm finally going to have time today to swap the tubes back in one at a time in order to find out for sure which was the problem and report back.

I've had maybe two or three hours to play it since I sorted the problem. Sounds really great. No noise problems or grounding issues. All settings work properly, the effects are flawless. I'll see if I can record a clip through my interface or phone.

Not sure if I posted pics of the tubes or transformers, but I'll go over that. PT is from Classictone. It's running 25-30v over schematic voltages. Maybe a mojotone would have produced a lower voltage but from the spec sheet, the classictone looked like it would. Choke and OT are mojotone.

V1: rca 7025
                            V2 : rca 7025
                            V3: jan philips 12at7
                            V4: rca 7025
                            V5: EHX 12ax7 (replaced tung sol)
                            V6: mullard ecc81(replaced jan 12at7)
                            V7 and V8: JJ 6v6
                            V9: JJ GZ34

Speaker is a Weber 12F150 25w, no dope.

Comment

• Just did a swap and confirmed it was the previous phase inverter tube causing the bad distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X