Deluxe Reverb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tyler8611 View Post
    Didn't try it lifted yet but I will now. I just put it in after reading about it as a tip.
    Yes can see the bulb flashing.

Comment

• tyler8611,
      You posted really nice high resolution photos. Would you please include at lease one photo that shows the whole gut shot as a single view?
      Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        tyler8611,
        You posted really nice high resolution photos. Would you please include at lease one photo that shows the whole gut shot as a single view?
        Cheers,
        Tom
        Sure, no problem.

Comment

Sure, no problem.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_153959.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	849796

Had to crop it to get it under 3mb.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49210[/ATTACH]

Had to crop it to get it under 3mb.
            Just a FYI....

I use BUZZ 3D Media converter to convert images and reduce file size.
            It works great but you are limited to 1280X1024 PNG or JPEG output.
            Not really a problem as far as size goes, still decent.
            It's an older program... there may be better/newer ones out there.
            Oh ya, it freeware.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/510875
            If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
            I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

• Here's a stacked image of a working 65 deluxe reverb (bottom photo) , compared to your build , hope it helps , g1 in#117 asked my first question, orange drop (is that the new LIKE)Click image for larger version

Name:	f2.JPG
Size:	536.6 KB
ID:	849806Click image for larger version

Name:	deluxe_reverb_aa763_layout 2.jpg
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	849807
              Attached Files
              Last edited by shortcircuit; 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM.
              If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

• disregard

Comment

• Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
                  Here's a stacked image of a working 65 deluxe reverb (bottom photo) , compared to your build , hope it helps , g1 in#117 asked my first question, orange drop (is that the new LIKE)[ATTACH=CONFIG]49213[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for that comparison. The orange drops are mostly PS series in there right now. Just one or two 715p.

Comment

• Touched up the pots and grounds and eliminated the cap on the roach. Going to see if it makes ant difference.

Comment

• Well guys, it's fixed! The last few things I did were touch up the pots and grounds, and I removed the .022 cap from the trem roach, which may well could have been the cause. I appreciate you all giving advice along the way!

Got it biased at 20mV with 444 plate voltage. Sounds excellent.

Comment

• Now I need to find the cause of this ratty distortion that's like a tearing sound that I get when vibrato channel is on 10. It's not the speaker and not V1 or V2. Maybe one of the other preamp tubes. I already swapped JJ 6v6s and it made no difference. Aside from that, the amp is running just fine and sounds really good!

Comment

Didn't try it lifted yet but I will now. I just put it in after reading about it as a tip.
                          Yes, this is a common technique for reliably removing any audible tick. Although, I always implement it in a slightly different way than you did. I bypass the 10M resistor with a .047µF cap. The reason I do it this way is that I have an large surplus of little white with box caps with leads just long enough to bypass the resistor. Since the power supply and ground are at the same potential for AC, it's six in one – half dozen in the other.
                          The important thing to remember when making this alteration is this: In order to maximize the mojo, use an inexpensive and reliable economy cap for this.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Tickless.jpg
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	849827
                          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                            Yes, this is a common technique for reliably removing any audible tick. Although, I always implement it in a slightly different way than you did. I bypass the 10M resistor with a .047µF cap. The reason I do it this way is that I have an large surplus of little white with box caps with leads just long enough to bypass the resistor. Since the power supply and ground are at the same potential for AC, it's six in one – half dozen in the other.
                            The important thing to remember when making this alteration is this: In order to maximize the mojo, use an inexpensive and reliable economy cap for this.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]49253[/ATTACH]
                            Wow cool mod. Makes sense. I'll definitely give it a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              You have to disconnect the cathode resistor if you want to measure mA current directly. Current measurement must be done with the meter in series. The point of having the 1 ohm cathode resistors is so you don't have to 'break in' to the circuit and can just measure voltage in mV across the resistor.
                              So your mA numbers are not valid. Your measurement of 65mV across the resistor is what you should go by. 65mV divided by 1 ohm equals 65mA idle current. At 400V plate, you are idling those tubes around 26watts. If you are lucky they may still be ok.
                              Somewhere around 20mA is probably more appropriate, which will measure as 20mV across the 1 ohm resistor.
                              Is 20 mA (mV) good with 451 on the plates?

Comment

• Yes, that should be fine.
                                (edit) That's about 9W idle which is about 70% of the 12W that 6V6 are rated at.
                                (65% of the 14W a JJ 6V6 is rated at)
                                Last edited by g1; 06-13-2018, 12:54 AM.
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X