thinkin' about Laney mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinkin' about Laney mods...

Hey, guys. I've been lurking for a bit and decided it was time to make a post.

Here's my deal...I've been playing a THD Univalve for awhile (5751-7025-6v6 tube setup). The tone is pretty awesome, but I'd like a bit more gain. I'm thinking of turning my old Laney AOR100 over to a good tech to really tweak it. Problem is, it's still 100 watts, which is frankly too much to crank into the sweet spot at my local venue.

Let me throw the doors open to you guys. No idea is too weird for me to consider (heck, I thought about have it setup to run 6V6s instead of EL34s). And if your thought is "don't bother, it's too much trouble," say so!

Other info: I play superstrats (a pair of Charvels and a Carvin Bolt Plus C) with pretty hot pickups. I don't use any effects. I do most of the lead work. The rhythm guitarist is using old mahogany Epiphone Genesis guitars through a JCM-600 combo.

Thanks!

Rookie to rookie, let me share a few thoughts.

First of all I think the AOR makes a GREAT project amp, because it is faily simple you can mod it a lot without worrying about channel switching etc. Also it is rather cheap so if something goes wrong it's not the end of the world.

OK, you asked for some wild ideas, so how about this: Simliar to the Mesa Express series, you can make a switchable Single-Ended / Push-Pull power stage. Add a Pentode/Triode switch and you can have 3W - 100W all from one power amp.
    To do this you would need to bias one pair of power tubes in Class A, which probably will require you to run them with significantly less anode voltage than for Class AB. You can simply drop that voltage with a power resistor though, since in class A the current demand is constant.
    You can then "mute" one of the output tubes by shunting the audio signal to that tube to ground, however the DC current in that tube will keep flowing so you have no net DC current in the OT. This was you go to Single-Ended with a flick of a switch.

This would be a big mod, so if it is too much trouble for you the 6V6 mod would be a much simpler option. You would still have to do all the calculations draw load lines etc. and probably end up with an impedance missmatch further reducing volume.
    "A goat almost always blinks when hit on the head with a ball peen hammer"

Comment

[QUOTE=Joe Bee;36637]Rookie to rookie, let me share a few thoughts.

First of all I think the AOR makes a GREAT project amp, because it is faily simple you can mod it a lot without worrying about channel switching etc. Also it is rather cheap so if something goes wrong it's not the end of the world. etc.
      QUOTE]

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the thoughts. I might lean more toward the 6V6 option since it represents my skill level more. Of course, if someone comes up with a cool idea that's beyond my level, I'm not shy about running to a good tech. The Laney has HUGE filter caps, and they are scary-looking!

Comment

Just run a pair of 6V6s in it - you should get a decent volume drop that way.

If you want to match the OT's impedance for a pair of 6V6s you could always put an OT in there specifically designed for a pair of 6V6s. I have a PP 6V6 amp with a AC30 preamp that rules - I can crank it and it's just right for gig volumes.

HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

I remember there was some discussion about this Laney before...

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ead.php?t=1845

Comment

Working...
          X