Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3000 Diodes, output tube plate to ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3000 Diodes, output tube plate to ground.

Hi Gang.

Referencing this page at the TubeDepot website, or even referencing any modern Fender schematic, the R3000 diode is a 3KV HV protection diode that can be connected between plate and ground of the output tubes.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and there are these same diodes in this amp as well.

I wanted to add some to an amp build I made some time ago so I ordered a handful from the only place I could find at the time - eBay.

I received them and while they say R3000 on them, they are a bit smaller in size in comparison to the R3000 in the HRD. The ones in the HRD are somewhere between IN4007 and UF5408 sized, where the R3000s I purchased are the size of an IN4007.

Does it matter in this case? Is an R3000 an R3000? or should I be concerned about the slightly smaller size?

Thanks!
    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

AN R3000 is an R3000.... if it really IS an R3000. Different factories might make them in slightly different shapes (packages). And I'd overlook that if I bought the parts from reliable suppliers. But you said the magic word: ebay. Who knows where they came from and if they are fakes or not.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Lots of fakes on ebay. Is the seller in China or have very little feedback? The small case makes me think they are not genuine.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Agree with this ^^^^

And to add... are these protection diodes really needed?
        I mean... Fender and everyone else built amps for ages without them.
        Do we really need them today?
        If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
        I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

I often just use 3 series 1n4007. I have a drawer of those, so it's easier than ordering something.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I mean... Fender and everyone else built amps for ages without them.
            Do we really need them today?
            They built amps for ages with two-wire power cords and death caps.

They built cars without seat belts.

They wired houses with no grounds in the wiring.

They used to sell meat without inspecting it.

These diodes protect the OT from open loads on the secondary.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              AN R3000 is an R3000.... if it really IS an R3000. Different factories might make them in slightly different shapes (packages). And I'd overlook that if I bought the parts from reliable suppliers. But you said the magic word: ebay. Who knows where they came from and if they are fakes or not.
              Originally posted by loudthud View Post
              Lots of fakes on ebay. Is the seller in China or have very little feedback? The small case makes me think they are not genuine.
              The seller was located in Austria and has what I'd consider good feedback... 99.7%, 1 neg. of almost 500 tractions where feedback was left in the last 12 month...

here's the page... R3000 on eBay

Usually I do not buy from ebay if for no other reason than having a supply available from normal online retailers... I seem to have difficulty finding them in EU, even mouser either does not carry them or considers them to be obsolete. Either way, they are unavailable there. Perhaps I will just order them from the US.

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              I often just use 3 series 1n4007. I have a drawer of those, so it's easier than ordering something.
              This is my backup plan.
              "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Can you identify a brand logo? Have you looked at spec sheets to see if they come in different physical size for different brands?
                I'm guessing you have no issues or failures with the parts and are just wondering about the size?
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  Can you identify a brand logo? Have you looked at spec sheets to see if they come in different physical size for different brands?
                  I'm guessing you have no issues or failures with the parts and are just wondering about the size?
                  I have not yet, but it is on my list of to do's... and I have not just sort of blindly tried them yet... I hope to establish some sort of legitimacy... especially more so after reading some of the replies. :-) I will know more later today hopefully.

Comment

I asked because Fender started using them long ago, and may have bought a major stockpile. I'd expect the modern parts may have downsized since then.
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Looking closer at the diode, on it is printed "R3000 PY"

In my searches for these markings, I came up with a datasheet from a company called PFS that lists this diode to be of the same size as your typical IN4007. Once I get to my workbench I will bust out the old micrometer and take a measurement and make a better determination...

Comment

Diodes Inc. specs theirs at 2mm x 4mm body size, which seems smaller than a common 1n4007 to me. But measure to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          Diodes Inc. specs theirs at 2mm x 4mm body size
                          What worries me is 3000V can easily jump 4 mm, since the intended use is quenching voltage spikes in that magnitude.
                          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Pulled out the micrometer... and the diode falls in specs to the datasheet - the diode was 5.25mm x 2.5mm

The big thing I am seeing is that a lot of these datasheets look the same, as in copied from each other... probably all supplied by the same manufacturer and changed subtly for each supplier. Some datasheets end the smaller diode at R2500 and starting at R3000 move to the larger package... some don't even offer the smaller package at all.

I think perhaps I will seek out a more legit supply.

Comment

are these the ones you're looking for ?? GP02-30

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...qzDBUV3A%3D%3D

I believe the way I ended up buying these was I ordered "R3000" from tube depot in the past, got it in the mail, read that it says GP02-30 on the actual diode, then looked it up on Mouser and ordered it from them, haha

edit: yes, zoom in on R3000 in the tube depot picture and you can see it says GP02-30
                              Last edited by nsubulysses; 06-08-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X