No announcement yet.

6bm8 Clipping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the caveat that there may yet be something in the amp that aught to be fixed, I've found that for my champion 600 reissue (and by extension all other SE designs) anything less than that at screaming for mercy distortion they sound kind of meh. Good for a lo-fi application like blues harp, garage rock, or Neil Young.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
      With the caveat that there may yet be something in the amp that aught to be fixed, I've found that for my champion 600 reissue (and by extension all other SE designs) anything less than that at screaming for mercy distortion they sound kind of meh. Good for a lo-fi application like blues harp, garage rock, or Neil Young.
      They really shouldn't have a volume on them since they sound best at their loudest.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        They really shouldn't have a volume on them since they sound best at their loudest.

nosaj
        Oh, yeah! And lift the tone stack for extra 5F1-ish-ness!
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I soldered the guitar to the cable. Soldered the cable to the grid. Bypassed all the tone and volume circuits, shorted the power switch so it's always on, soldered the plug to the wall socket, removed the pilot light so it didn't suck power and now it sounds great!

Comment

Working...
          X