MIM jazzbass pickups wind direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM jazzbass pickups wind direction

Any one now the wind direction & magnet polarity of MIM jazzbass pickup ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Just pulled out my Mex JB from 2003/2004 (serial number MZ3xxxxxx)...

Neck = north up
    Bridge = south up

I'll open up its guts later in the week-end for the winding direction!

Comment

Thanks , I got the customers Neck pickup here wound for him but I'm not 100% about the direction of the wind as I've repaired American JB pickups & mij JB pickups with opposite direction of info I'm finding on the net

Comment

If you know the magnet polarities, you can deduce the winding directions without opening the pickups.

Hook up an analog VOM to a cable plugged into the bass' output jack. Set the meter to the lowest voltage range, and adjust the needle above zero. Lay a screwdriver across the face of the pickup, then lift it off and note which direction the needle deflects.

If you remember the Right Hand Rule from physics class, the result will tell you the winding direction. If you are like me, the result will give you a 50% chance of guessing the winding direction. But if you compare to other pickups on hand with known magnetic polarity & winding direction, you'll suss it out.

-rb
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          If you know the magnet polarities, you can deduce the winding directions without opening the pickups.

Hook up an analog VOM to a cable plugged into the bass' output jack. Set the meter to the lowest voltage range, and adjust the needle above zero. Lay a screwdriver across the face of the pickup, then lift it off and note which direction the needle deflects.

If you remember the Right Hand Rule from physics class, the result will tell you the winding direction. If you are like me, the result will give you a 50% chance of guessing the winding direction. But if you compare to other pickups on hand with known magnetic polarity & winding direction, you'll suss it out.

-rb
          I'm sending a customer one of my pickups as he wants to replace the stock MIM neck pickup . so I don't have any pickup copy

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            so I don't have any pickup copy
            But epizootics does have a neck pickup. He says his is North up. Is your customer's neck pickup North up? If so, then if you and epizootics both do the screwdriver test and get the same results, you should be good to go.

Unless there is a chance that the pickups have changed over the years.... then you need to wind the neck pickup to match the electrical phase of the customer's bridge pickup. (In other words, the screwdriver test should deflect the needle in the same direction for both pickups.)

I'm not trying to be a PITA - just thought it would be quicker/easier if epizootics didn't have to "open its guts".

-rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Here's where it can get a little complicated ... magnetic polarity is not going to be the problem , what possibly can /may be a problem is just for instance if you are judging by black/white lead wires from the bottom eyelets , there has been 2 different ways they are wound ,one where the start wire goes from the eyeley & touches the last pole magnet (which runs the ends of the finish & start wires to the opposite end of the pickups) this is the most common way i see these pickups , the other way is basically like a strat or tele ( from eyelet goes across the first/closest rod/pole magnet with no possibly of loose windings ).

Comment

This is why you should try to sell them a set instead of just one pickup!
                If you sell a set, then you are in control of the polarity varibles!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Yes i agree 100% there would be no thread at all .

Comment

How about just using two gray wires instead of black and white? I'd just wind the damned thing to Fender's USA specs and tell him to figure it out if it's out of phase. The wire colors going to hot and ground aren't going to matter much to the sound. If the fellow decides to buy a second pickup from you later you won't have to try and remember what you did the first time.

Comment

Working...
                    X