Egnater Renegade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater Renegade

I know I’m prob overthinking this..PT down in amp, ordered a Mercury to replace it with. Mercury suggests bypassing voltage selector. Where would be best place to tie into my ac line? I have one spot on the power switch from old transformer which was a white wire, also can anyone help figure out how to wire the voltage switch? I’ll post pics of Mercury schematic and Egnater

Haha how can I add photo from iPhone? 🤷*♂️

Comment

Take a minute & study the schematic.

renegade-power transformer.pdf

The switch selects 3 voltage taps.
      If the replacement is one 120V tap, then simply jumper the three tabs of the selector switch.
      Throwing the switch will select the 120V tap on all settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Take a minute & study the schematic.

[ATTACH]49346[/ATTACH]

The switch selects 3 voltage taps.
        If the replacement is one 120V tap, then simply jumper the three tabs of the selector switch.
        Throwing the switch will select the 120V tap on all settings.
        This seems risky to me. If the selector switch is there someone in the future may try to use it. If they set it to 230 (which is actually wired for 120) and then plug into 230 they are going to do some real damage. Seems better to get rid of the switch all together and label the amp as 120V only.

Doesn't the Mercury for this amp have some weird wiring that needs to happen on the primary side anyway? I remember looking at it and deciding to just get one from Egnater to keep it stock, and it was a little cheaper too (and I didn't plan on keeping the amp).

Comment

I wouldn’t mind to get rid of the switch, I’m just not sure how to safely splice in on the AC or where to. It’s not like an old point to point tag board..there is things going on in that protection circuit lol

Comment

This has the Mercury "Universal Primary" correct? https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pag...PrimaryDef.pdf

Off your power switch you probably have a black wire and a white wire, correct?

So for 120V the brown and black wires are tied together, I would tie those to the black wire side of the switch, and the brpwn/white and white wires are tied together, those would connect to the white wire side of the switch. And then the black/white wire is capped. I don't know what the standard connection is for three wires like that in an amp though. Wire nuts? Soldered, nutted, and taped? I would ask Mercury what they recommend. It would be nice to be able to use spade connectors like most of the power connections (except at the voltage switch), but don't know how to do three wires with spades. BTW, getting rid of that switch is actually a stress reliever, I was so worried I had gotten it wired wrong and was going to blow the amp up worse than it was before!

Comment

I was thinking I could go from the power switch, thanks for the info, and that is the correct chart 😊

Comment

The only thing I had to change was the Brn/Wht location, with them on the power switch where the white wire originally went there was no power, but the red wire that went from power switch to the voltage switch was removed and the two new wires on that terminal and the ole girl came to life. Thanks again 😊

Comment

Working...
                X