Help with this HSH diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with this HSH diagram

NOTE: I believe these wire codes are correct for modern Bill Lawrence humbuckers (Bill & Becky, not Bill Lawrence USA, which are different).

http://wildepickups.com/Wiring___Tech_Info.html

White = SS positive lead for South Coil (+ when used as regular humbucker)
    Green = SF ground for the South Coil
    Red = NS positive lead for the North Coil
    Black = NF ground for North Coil (- when used as regular humbucker)
    Blue= Common ground

Grounding the green/red combination shuts off the North Coil, which works out fine for the neck position. I'm not sure to go about shutting off the South Coil for the bridge in order to have outside coils working in positions 2 and 4. In most detailed wiring diagrams you see the NF/SF tied together, but BL has the green/red or SF/NS tied together. What gives there?

Not sure if I have all the info need to get the help I'm seeking, but hopefully someone here can spot any problems and suggest corrections as needed. Guitar is an HSH Ibanez (S540 from 1998) and I am upgrading the pickups to Bill Lawrence (wildepickups.com). I've made a rough drawing, but my uncertainty is with splitting the bridge humbucker and leaving on the outer coil.

Neck = L500XL
    Middle = L280SM
    Bridge = L500XL

Here is the configuration I want:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	New wiring.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	873716

Bill Lawrence humbuckers have the South Coil on top and North on bottom.

Name:	L500XL.jpg
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	873717

Here is my drawing:

Name:	HSH_BL_S540.jpg
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	873715

What I think I have wrong is this: I don't think this wiring scheme will shut off the inner (S) coil for the bridge pickup. Or is this drawing correct?
    Last edited by Tone Meister; 06-18-2018, 07:14 PM.

School me on coil-splitting humbucker pickups

Started a thread on a wiring configuration HERE trying to get some help verifying whether my drawing is workable or not.

I'm confused about a couple of things relating to coil splitting and hum canceling when doing so. I have a set of current production "Bill & Becky" Bill Lawrence L500XL (Wilde Pickups) humbuckers and the configuration is different in a few ways. The main difference is the coil split is at the SF/NS (green/red) junction where most others are NF/SF. Does this even matter? I sussed out the wiring codes with a meter since they are not published anywhere for the original Bill Lawrence design.

I know grounding the red/green wire will shut off the North Coil, but how do I go about shutting off the South Coil for the bridge pickup? These are Zebra, so flipping them is not an option. These L500XLs have S coil on top and N coil on bottom, for whatever that's worth.

Any info you will share is appreciated.

Here is the scheme I want

Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	849901

And here is my drawing

Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	849902

Comment

If you want all 5 switch positions to be humcancelling and in phase the two coils must be RWRP with respect to each other. You might need to flip the magnet on one or both of the humbuckers to accomplish this. Once the magnets are oriented properly you can use small test clips on the coil leads to figure out the wiring for humcancelling in-phase operation.
      If the bobbin colors don't matter you can rotate the hb 180 degrees rather than flipping the magnet (which must be done correctly, you might want to ask first.)

Steve A.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Tried to edit the original post, but too much time has passed.

Check this and see you think this is a workable drawing for the configuration I want.

Here's what I want

Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	849908

And here is my drawing

Views:	1
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	849909