Modern HV EL34s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    You're right. The zener type number must be wrong.
    You can almost count on it. And it's probably not accidental either. First, why bother with a mere 6.8V drop? Second, Mesa is notorious for misleading information on their schematics.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Concerning linear reduction of grid drive: The first thing that comes to my mind would be decreasing the grid-to-ground resistors to 100k or lower. But of course there is a number of other possibilities as well.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Reader View Post
        OKay but please put up with me as I ask another question. My confusion is that the drawing shows a screen voltage on pin 4 of the V10 6L6 of 454 volts. It also shows a screen voltage on pin 4 of the V12 EL34 of 383 volts. Granted there is a 1K7 more screen resistance and a 6.8 V zener in the feed to the V12 EL34 but that seems not to explain the extra 71 V lower voltage at the V12 EL34 Pin 4. Can you tell me what I am missing? is the sample schematic just bogus?
        The Mesa schematic as shown does not include the power supply circuit.

It is entirely possible, that is where the screen node is dropped to 383 Vdc. (something like a 6 K/ 7W resistor)

Comment

IIRC I used 150k for the grid load. Which isn't a huge reduction from the common 220k value. I honestly don't remember what I did to reduce drive on the two tube AB1 amp. The other was single ended so I just reduced gain from the driving stage.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            The Mesa schematic as shown does not include the power supply circuit.

It is entirely possible, that is where the screen node is dropped to 383 Vdc. (something like a 6 K/ 7W resistor)
            I don't suspect that since both screen feeds are attached to the same node in the lower right of the schematic. I'm open to correction if I'm still misunderstanding something.
            Mr Chuck H said that the figure was lifter from a Mesa schematic and that Mesa is often deliberately deceptive. A case of learner beware?
            Keep learning. Never give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Reader View Post
              OKay but please put up with me as I ask another question. My confusion is that the drawing shows a screen voltage on pin 4 of the V10 6L6 of 454 volts. It also shows a screen voltage on pin 4 of the V12 EL34 of 383 volts. Granted there is a 1K7 more screen resistance and a 6.8 V zener in the feed to the V12 EL34 but that seems not to explain the extra 71 V lower voltage at the V12 EL34 Pin 4. Can you tell me what I am missing? is the sample schematic just bogus?
              That part of the scheme corresponds to the Road King model. I think the exact diode is 1N5372 (62V/5W). It must be a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
                That part of the scheme corresponds to the Road King model. I think the exact diode is 1N5372 (62V/5W). It must be a typo.
                Thanks for that input! Makes a lot more sense now. It's hard to figure this stuff out when people just host a keyhole View how's the whole circuit. but that seems to be common here for some reason. I figure it's because of some limitation in file size.
                Keep learning. Never give up.

Comment

It can't "regulate" the voltage to below a limit during spikes but it does reduce them by the amount of the zener voltage.
                  That's right. I never said it will regulate the voltage, just lower it at idle around and below 450V.

The zener number on the schematic (Roadking II) is obviously wrong. It's more like 1N5372 which is a 62V 5W zener.

Comment

Working...
                  X