Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matchless Chieftan stock bias EL34s at 133% idle dissipation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchless Chieftan stock bias EL34s at 133% idle dissipation???

Why?

Also, does anyone feel the need to modify this?

(I will add that I hadn't had the chance to play any before this one, but it is a really nice sounding amp)

edit: I just realized that my parenthetical read like nonsense without the word "before" in it.
    Last edited by SoulFetish; 06-21-2018, 03:38 AM.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Who can tell why? Maybe Mr Matchless knew he was selling to a rich clientele, heck they can afford to replace their tubes once a week, plus carry a spare Matchless or 2 for when they blow up on stage or in studio. Right! One way, think of it as a built in mistake. Love it or leave it.

I have at times replaced the cathode resistor with a higher value one, but that puts the output into crossover distortion territory pretty fast. Same thing if low emission tubes are selected. Might do to sling a quiet little fan in there. Not Suzy Creamcheese, she's too rowdy.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
      ......does anyone feel the need to modify this?......
      I do!

IMO, the longevity of the amp should be considered- especially at the price they go for. Customers usually won't balk once that's explained to them.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It's crazy, no wonder they eat tubes like mad and run hot as hell.

Interestingly, I built a Chieftain out of a Traynor 50w that had reverb and tremolo.

It sounded like a Matchless but ran much cooler.

Comment

So, are we saying this amp was designed like this? Sent out the door like this? And nothing "wrong" with it with respect to it's manufacture?
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

It's "The Matchless Way".

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
              So, are we saying this amp was designed like this? Sent out the door like this? And nothing "wrong" with it with respect to it's manufacture?
              Again, think of it as a built in mistake. Love it or leave it.

Personally I'm not all that impressed with Matchless, except for their ptp build style with all those twisty pair wires inside, it's kinda artsy craftsy like something kids make in summer camp, y'know, those plastic lanyards that were all the thing umm... 55 years ago (showing my age, heh heh...) The point I should be trying to make, is they could have been engineered better, especially considering the price, but they didn't bother. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy? It wouldn't have taken a whole lot of effort.

Comment

Matchless- "where ohms law and meter calibration are optional"

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Matchless - "where ohms law and meter calibration are optional"
                  Matchless - We don't care about no stinkin' red plates.

I really don't care, do you? It's the very very thing to do: now a totally popular concept!

Comment

Oh c'mon. They sound really good actually. Sort of two trick pony that does both really well. Probably why they're so coveted. Most amps only do one thing well, much less two things really well. Great cleans and great grit. Not a hard rock or high gainer. But that's cool since most guys that are willing to shell out the coin just to babysit an amp also happen to be fond of boutique dirt boxes. But I can't imagine indie and alt pop rock without Matchless amps. Every time I hear (what I think is) a Gretsch hollowbody through a Matchless it makes me wish I could get that tone. Alas I just can't build a tube incinerator in good conscience. Maybe an AC30 instead
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I agree on all points. Great sounding amps. My beef is, at that price, they shouldn't be designed to incinerate, as you say. I've lowered the output tube dissipation on several Matchless amps with no noticeable degradation to the sound of the amp. It makes me wonder why they insist on running the piss out of tubes. I don't see any upside (unless your selling tubes). Maybe they have too many "grow lights" on in the basement of the Matchless factory and the line voltage is low?

On the upside, if you stand next to a Matchless, you can do an outdoor gig in South Dakota in December.

Comment

They probably hold out at those high voltages because it's part of their shtick now.?. If the customers seeking those amps DIDN'T have to feed it tubes all the time they'd feel they were cheated out of players martyrdom There'd be a rash of blogs and posts about how "The new Matchless amps don't sound as good as the old ones" that ate tubes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think it's actually a smart move on their part if they've found damage control manageable. How many things can you buy today that are "made like they use to be"???
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                          On the upside, if you stand next to a Matchless, you can do an outdoor gig in South Dakota in December.
                          Roger that, if you have a Matchless you won't be needing a match.

Try the veal...

Comment

A guy once lost his bias and the tubes were on the brink of melting. But he said it was the best the amp had ever sounded right up until it blew up.

Matchless blows through tubes? OK, You can't succeed at drag racing without wearing out tires real fast either.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              A guy once lost his bias and the tubes were on the brink of melting. But he said it was the best the amp had ever sounded right up until it blew up.
                              That's the basis of the urban legend, which may actually be true, where Joe Walsh said "sounded GREAT, just before it blew up!" You'll have to ask him.

Comment

Working...
                              X