No announcement yet.

meter calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes sense to check and clean (Deoxit) fuse holder contacts of meter fuses after some years. The problem may not be noticeable in V mode but give wrong current and Ohms readings.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      It makes sense to check and clean (Deoxit) fuse holder contacts of meter fuses after some years. The problem may not be noticeable in V mode but give wrong current and Ohms readings.
      Great note. Something a guy like me doesn't even consider since I'm only at my bench a few times a year anymore. And all that sitting around can only make the oxide problem worse too. Here's another
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I used to work in a Metrology lab, repairing and calibrating all kinds of test equipment.

Stuff in the lab at work is calibrated, so every once in a while I'll check my own equipment against that.

For troubleshooting or repairing amps meters don't have to be too accurate.

Comment

I have a Fluke 85. It has a REL button. Short the probes on Ohms and hit the REL button and it zero's out the probe resistance.

Whenever I go to a Pawn shop, I checkout the display case where they keep the meters. Sometimes you can find a bargain. One time I found a 2 Amp Variac for $15 because they didn't know what it was. Back when I ran a business, an extra meter or two came in handy. Never found a Fluke meter that had any significant calibration problem other than a blown fuse or worn out probe lead.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
          X