Partridge transformer question -- sound city 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partridge transformer question -- sound city 120

So, for whatever reason people really like to say how their amp has PARTRIDGE transformers. It's always mentioned whenever an amp goes up for sale that is an old sound city or hiwatt or even some old laneys I think. Not sure why this brand is so coveted. Is it because it has hiwatt association ?

The thing is though, don't some of those old amps not have partridge but thy are always listed as if they are ?

Case in point, I read somewhere a long time ago that the non lacquered transformers that look exactly like partridge but are missing the partridge transformer sticker are made by a company called electro voice (not the same company as the speaker brand)

Anyone know if this is true or have any other info about it ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	873730

EDIT: question 2, why does the orientation of my image always get flipped sideways or upside down when I post on MEF

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
    So, for whatever reason people really like to say how their amp has PARTRIDGE transformers. It's always mentioned whenever an amp goes up for sale that is an old sound city or hiwatt or even some old laneys I think. Not sure why this brand is so coveted. Is it because it has hiwatt association ?
    Yes I believe that's it, Partridge iron was/is considered top shelf. As far as those amps with other transformers, but having Partridge mentioned in their ads, all I can think of is the sellers are trying to cadge a few extra bucks or pounds, euros, yen, whatever by mentioning the premium brand name. And I don't know anything about lookalike transformers by Electrovoice or anyone else. Sideways photos, sorry can't help you there.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

The original Partridges from the late 60s/early 70s were very well made, including hi-fi tricks like bifilar windings. You can tell these by the doubled-up lead outs. This was kind of silly given that literally every guitar speaker drops off in frequency like a stone above 3-4khz. Note also that Partridge made OEM transformers for Hiwatt, Sound City, etc. , and "50 watt Partridge" OTs are not all the same.

Comment

Part of the appeal is the thinking that big iron = big tone, and Partridge iron is certainly big.

Comment

More iron generally = better LF response, again in keeping with the hi-fi ethos.

Comment

More iron generally = better LF response
            Not necessarily.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Let me rephrase: you can't have high power + good LF without a lot of iron.

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
                Let me rephrase: you can't have high power + good LF without a lot of iron.
                This sounds rather safe.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Pic test

Name:	Pic attachment.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	850066

I just uploaded the OP's pic.
                  It did not rotate it.

Here is the original pic rotated 90 degrees to the right.

Name:	Pic attachment 90 degrees_ right.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	850067

Note: using Paint Shop Pro

Comment

Assumg that the smaller of the 2 is the OT: This certainly doesn't look bigger than a 100W Marshall OT of the time.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I was hoping you would reply

Are you insinuating that the unlabeled, unlaqueured transformers actually are made by partridge but since they are OEM for Sound City (in this example) they are left blank? They do seem to look exactly the same. The electro voice thing is something I read online some unknown place probably 10 years ago, so I'm not sure if I'm even right on that.

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
                      The original Partridges from the late 60s/early 70s were very well made, including hi-fi tricks like bifilar windings. You can tell these by the doubled-up lead outs. This was kind of silly given that literally every guitar speaker drops off in frequency like a stone above 3-4khz. Note also that Partridge made OEM transformers for Hiwatt, Sound City, etc. , and "50 watt Partridge" OTs are not all the same.

Comment

If anything, Hiwatt benefitted by being associated with Partridge and not the other way round, since Hiwatt was the "new kid on the block" (admittedly over half a Century ago ) while Partridge had a couple decades of well earned respect on their shoulders.

The transformers were good,no doubt about that, and must have been well interleaved, to Hi Fi standards and also used above normal iron quality .... all of which spells e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e
                        Once a reporter asked Jim Marshall why he didnīt use them and he answered " we did ... 2 or 3 which were sent as samples and which we wouldn't waste, of course ... )
                        So thereīs a couple Marshalls out there sporting Hi Fi Partridge iron.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

It appears that electrovoice were prepared to make a lower priced part, at a time when amp sales were trending down. The ability to use knockoff looking end clamps, and the same winding details, would have eased the decision to swap supplier. Not providing a dipped varnish protection coating was one obvious to see compromise.
                          People pay more for a guitar made in country a versus country b, even though there is little tangible difference.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49502[/ATTACH]

EDIT: question 2, why does the orientation of my image always get flipped sideways or upside down when I post on MEF
                            Exif info embedded info the photo has lots of data about it, the one that is doing that is:Orientation: RightTop

ImageMagick shows this data,
                            command line:
                            identify -verbose Pic\ attachment.jpg
                            it shows quite a lot of data I wont post here..besides the point.
                            Linux shows this. windows I have no idea.

dave

PS. Chances are high that the camera has a setting.
                            Last edited by dstrat; 07-06-2018, 01:11 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

Working...
                            X