Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Tone choices for 5F2-A project

Hi all and good afternoon!

On the Classic Tone site they offer 4 power transformers for the Tweed Princeton I'm doing and I could use a lil advice on the one to go with. They have one that is 120v to 325-0-325 @ 70ma, another that's the same 325-0-325 but they also add a 110v tap on the primary side... a third that is 120v to 315-0-315 or 275-0-275 @ 100ma and a 4th that adds a 330-0-330 to the 3rd one!

I have about 122V at the outlets here and I will use the original plan of the 5Y3 rectifier. My filter caps are 500V.

What would you folks suggest I choose for the power transformer?

As always thanks for your time and feedback... it has been most helpful,
    Dale

Gonna say door #3.

Comment

Hi mozz thanks for the reply... So you would use that 330-0-330 tap for this? I'm curious as to what the different voltages bring to the party! The higher voltages on an earlier project I liked and appreciated but that was a SS rectifier and I was comparing it to the same amp with a tube rectifier. I would like a little extra oomph out of this one especially with it being so low watt.

All thoughts are welcomed and encouraged!

Comment

Door #3 does not include the 330-0-330 tap.
        And I agree with mozz's choice.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

oops I meant the 315 or 275 one. It seems the 275-0-275 area is a decent B+ tap?

Comment

Hoffman has a 290-0-290 for a similar price also

Comment

I meant the third item you listed. I think the 330 after it's rectified is going to be too much. A lot of places are calling for a 650vct, which is the same as 325-325. The one with 315 and 275 would let you run either voltage, what plate voltage are you shooting for?

Comment

I'm hearing good things about the 5Y3 and the taps at about 275 to 290. That would be like 315-325 B+... Whatcha all think about that plan? A lil easier on the 6v6 maybe? Am I sacrificing anything with that kind of voltages?
                Last edited by tubedood; 06-27-2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

On one schematic I found for the 5F2-A it says PT is 66079 and OT is 265. So far that's the only old single ended Fender amp schematic I've found with any numbers for the PT and OT, but I didn't go back very far.

I have a 5F1 Champ, the OT says #106 on it and the PT says 606949 and OP250B. Could this be the same transformer set that was used on the 5F2-A ? I could take measurements if that would be of any help.

Link to schematic : http://el34world.com/charts/Schemati...ceton_5f2a.pdf
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks loudthud that's good info I appreciate it! I just called Mercury Magnetics to ask their thoughts on the transformers to go with for a 5F2-A with the 5Y3, as the website isn't very informative. After a nice conversation their recommendations came to the FTPP-55 power transformer (350-0-350) which was a little concerning due to the high voltage but I was told this is a great fit and the lower voltage models tend to be looser in the low end. The output transformer to use going with my plan of an 8ohm Jupiter 10" ceramic to use is their FTPO-55-8 which is 6.6k to 8 ohm. They do have lower voltage power transformers also, this is just their recommendation. Sure if you could get a voltage reading to see what yours comes to for the B+ that would help anyone in this situation! I feel my best option is a power tranny in the 275 to 315 area unless anyone else can offer another suggestion!

Dale

Comment

Working...
                    X