Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I see at the collector of an Emitter Follower power stage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkfenriz View Post
    for one, it's transconductance amp in open loop, made voltage amp by the virtue of feedback - load stability may be trickier to achieve and the specs such as damping factoror consistency of thd over loads may suffer, in case anyone cares (say 80s hi-fi mentality)
    the other is it looks strange.
    3rd the supplies are harder to use elsewhere, such as reg them down for the pre-amp
    That.
    Cheapest simplest +/-15V supplies often are: dropping resistor>zener diode to ground in parallel with 100uF cap , can go as low as 10uF, itīs just bypassing the supply, the Zener is doing the main job and in theory, it should work even without any cap at all.
    But resistor + zener can supply regulated voltage only if rail is *continuously* high voltage ... while flying rails bottom to 0V/ground all the time at high power, let alone peaks.
    So now we need a significant capacitor to hold charge during "starvation" ... I have seen Peavey use 1000uF there although they were feeding a simple 2 or 4 Op Amp preamp (Bassic 60).
    Not sure they did but I would add a series diode (think 1N4007) on each rail so dropping resistor does not suck charge while bottoming.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
    X