Chinese Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Pickups

I recently bought a 69$ Crescent Stratocaster copy made on the Chinese mainland by Hongfang Musical Instrument Co.Ltd.
    My intention was to pull out the pickups and use the guitar as a test bed for my own coils. That went down the tube when i started to play it.
    I have tried a lot of Fender Strats over the years, trying to emulate the sound Buddy Holly and Tommy Allsup had in the recordings of "heartbeat" and "Listen to me" , with no luck; and there it was, in a guitar that cost next to nothing.
    Maybe that company wind their own pickups, who`s to say, anyway now i`ll not have to fork out big money on a Fender, its the sound that counts not the headstock.
    So i bought a new Titan Tele for 29$ on Ebay and use that to test-run my own winds.

That's a stroke of luck. Were you testing that strat at gig levels? That's when they sometimes show their class or failings. I also bought a really cheap Strat copy years ago with the intention of showcasing my single coils. It too sounded sweet with stock pickups but really let itself down at gigs.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Hi Spence, can you elaborate on that. I'm interested in hearing what you found.. Thanks.

Comment

It was really harsh and ice picky at high volumes and squeeled like a stuck pig. When I put my own pickups in it it sounded as good as it was ever going to sound. It wasn't made of quality tone woods for a start and if you haven't got good wood it'll be a flop !
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
          That's a stroke of luck. Were you testing that strat at gig levels? That's when they sometimes show their class or failings. I also bought a really cheap Strat copy years ago with the intention of showcasing my single coils. It too sounded sweet with stock pickups but really let itself down at gigs.
          Not at gig level, those days are long gone. I use the Crescent on a Fender G-DEC™ series amp i have out in my workshop, the guitar really shows its merit when i play the chord solo out of "Peggy Sue".
          I am in the process of ordering another one for my grandson at Christmas, here is a pic of mine.
          Attached Files

Comment

How can anyone have made a profit at $69 ?
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
              How can anyone have made a profit at $69 ?
              The Chinese are working for buttons.
              I've got a Westefield E1000 strat copy that I paid £35 + postage for on ebay. With a little work (admittedly changing out the crappy pickups) this turned into a superb guitar that I'd be reluctant to part with.

If the supplier made at least a fiver and it was shipped half way around the world there's hardly enough money left over for someone to paint it.

What a carbon footprint too.

S.

Comment

Hey, send me your pickups for rewind with genuine Chinese sound!

Sam

Comment

OK Sam lee Guy, I was wondering what buttons you prefer?
                  BTW, sorry to hear your half brother John Lee Hooker Guy died a few years back. Choked on a crispy pancake I heared.
                  sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

It Ok, now he with other brother Bruce Lee Hooker both sadly missed by Christopher Lee Hooker, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lee Marvin, Mary Lee.

Comment

What about General Lee? He no part of you family?
                      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Peggy Lee Guy one Foxy Rady

Comment

exposed!!!!!!!!

I followed the IP address of Same Lee Gay and its at the WHITE HOUSE! George Bush!!!! That explains why your pickups don't work right, cost way too much, and have speckles of cocaine powder in the potting material. When he's not running the country which is all of the time, he tries to play guitar, goes to jams in disguise and always gets kicked out for sucking real bad and playing too loud and playing the "mission accomplished blues," which no one wants to hear.
                          http://www.SDpickups.com
                          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

That was funny Sam..

Comment

Chines pickup potting

Hey Sam, how true is it that Chinese pickups are potted in a wax mixture with broth from boiling chicken feet?

Comment

Working...
                              X