Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. Is this normal?

I recently acquired one of these that the owner said he put away a while back, but now wasn't working. I cleaned all the jacks to no avail. I finally got around to testing the Scorps, they are dead. I connected it to another speaker. When the guitar cord is in Channel 1, only the right (from the rear) speaker output works. When it's in Channel 2 only the left output works. Both indicator LEDs are on, and the chorus/vibrato knobs have no effect. Does it have to have the footswitch to work right? 2 speakers connected?

Connect good speakers.

The amp has two amplifiers, one per speaker. One of the amp circuits may have failed.

The FX loop is in the form of an insert jack. I think the power amp in is on the ring contact - the first click as you push in a plug. Plus a signal into the jack that way to see if the power amp works or not. The preamp may have the problem instead. We need to find out.

Turn the chorus function on and off. See if the dead side comes alive in one setting.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Now that I've read the manual more closely, it says the amp is in "Stereo Mode" when both LEDs are on, with each input driving it's own amp/speaker, so the power amps check out okay. I had no idea they were made like that. I think you may have read the post before I edited it. In the original, I mistakenly wrote that it was the right output jack both times. I guess i need to get two good speakers and get a footswitch. I figured it was like Studio Chorus 210 I had and defaulted to effects on without a footswitch. Not so.

Comment

Stereo mode is for chorus. When chorus is off, it reverts to mono. But both amps and speakers are still running, they just both get the same signal. There is no mode that results in one speaker going silent.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X