Fender deluxe reverb power xfmr thermal fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender deluxe reverb power xfmr thermal fuse

Motivated by “1ampman’s” post on the Peavey Classic 30 Power Transformer thermal fuse, I grabbed the latest Fender Deluxe Reverb power transformer I had set aside for the day I felt inspired to tear it down to see if I could find where they buried the thermal fuse in series with it’s primary winding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	873816 Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-3.jpg
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	873817 Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	873818 Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-5.jpg
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	873819

As usual, the vacuum impregnation of varnish hinders getting the core bolts’ nuts off. Then, you have to pry off the end bell just to get started, which can be a chore all its’ own. On this one, there’s also the copper flux band that has to be desoldered so you can get at the next obstacle…the multiple layers of fish paper insulation. I made a careful cut with an Xacto knife to open it up, finally exposing the transformer primary and secondary wire terminations.

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-7.jpg
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	873820 Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-6.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	873821

Looking closely, I found the thermal fuse near the core under all the windings. Next to a wooden dowel is an insulated tube (cable jacket?) that houses the axial lead thermal fuse. Following the leads of both ends of the fuse leads, I verified it soldered to the black primary lead at one end, and to the magnet wire of the primary winding at the other end. I unsoldered and unwound both ends of the thermal fuse leads.

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-10.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	873822 Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-12.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	873823 Click image for larger version

Name:	Disassemble Xfmr-13.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	873824

Then, stretching out the leads flat, I was able to drive out the thermal fuse with a hex driver, carefully hammering it out of the tubing. That revealed a 142 deg C 10A thermal fuse, which measured open, of course. 142 deg C. Interesting rating, considering the transformer only has Class B insulation system (130 deg C), I presume. I doubt if it is Class C (180 deg C).

Now, this exercise took a good hour to finally dig the fuse out. The replacement cost of the transformer is $75 + shpg. I’ll still have to locate, order & replace the thermal fuse. I would also make use of the hi temp insulation sleeving from the existing thermal fuse when installing the new thermal fuse. The primary measured about 4 ohms. I still have to jumper the primary lead to the winding and check it on my power analyzer/variac to verify there’s not further issues that caused the transformer’s thermal fuse to open. Then, closing it all back up without causing any safety issues, since the insulation & tapes have all been cut thru to get at the fuse.
    Last edited by nevetslab; 07-17-2018, 07:18 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thanks for the step by step pictorial
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

This is almost identical to my experience with a Hot Rod Deluxe transformer. I know that I spent way too much time thinking about it and dinking around on it before just getting a new one. I went with a Magnetic Components one instead of a Fender one. For whatever reason that felt like it was more reliable than the stock, which I'm sure is total hokum.

Comment

Working...
      X