Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for source for Fender type on/off standby switches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for source for Fender type on/off standby switches...

I recently did a repair on a mid-60s BF Fender amp where I replaced the standby switch. I put in a switch that looked very similar with identical specs but with a slightly longer bat handle. It worked fine/perfectly. But the amp's owner/user a few days later asked me to change it out with a switch that had the same bat handle length as the original. He made a good point; it's an older amp - worth some money and should look stock, even with replaced parts.

Does anyone know a good source for these SPST on/off and standby switches. Most of the ones in my stock are the longer bat handle versions and I must've bought these because I couldn't find the shorter bat handle versions at that time. I usually shop pretty carefully and price is important to me (and my customers) so I don't always partronize the musician/amp specific businesses (unless it's a part that no one else has).

Thanks for your time,

Bob M.

How much 'longer' is the bat handle?

Trying to source an identical 50 year old switch is tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      How much 'longer' is the bat handle?

Trying to source an identical 50 year old switch is tough.
      Ruby/Magic Parts has the correct item but they only sell to the trade and they're not going to accept an order for one switch. Antique/CE sells the long bat version, no point looking there.

For a real challenge try finding toggle switches that have a spherical knob on the end of the bat, found on amps from the 1930's thru mid 50's. Never have seen those for sale.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

A lot of people don't like to use used/recycled parts. But I've always had very good luck finding parts for restorations at various Goodwills and Thrift Stores (even in their dumpsters). Many "period" electrics use the same parts. You might find a switch in an old blender or such. Their not as plentiful as they once were but I used to get lots of 12AX7s out of discarded clock radios. It's worth a look out back. Anything odd, old, or not working they tend to throw in the trash.

Comment

Lots of stuff like that. Old table fans, old electric mixers, look for old appliances.

Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-125/300374265

https://www.homedepot.com/s/toggle%2520switch?NCNI-5
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Like Jazz said above. How much longer? Is the original shorter than Fender are using in the re-issues?
            If it's shorter than this one, I'd suggest to the owner he must change them all so they are a matching set:
            https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...acement-fender
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Does it have a ground switch?

Comment

Good Lord, really? This is how silly this has all become, we are measuring the length of switch handles because we think it will effect the amp's value? I say hogwash, and I would tell any customer that. Put in a Carling replacement, and get on with your life, IMHO.
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I "sort of" agree. That said, the customer is always right. Albeit ridiculous, if that's what he wants, you should give it to him. IMO, It's a rear panel switch and nobody is going to see it anyway. I would, however, charge him appropriately for my time to track down a period correct switch. Being picky shouldn't be free.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                    Good Lord, really? This is how silly this has all become, we are measuring the length of switch handles because we think it will effect the amp's value? I say hogwash, and I would tell any customer that. Put in a Carling replacement, and get on with your life, IMHO.
                    Funny thing, both the short and long bat switches are made by Carling. And I agree with you about how silly it is. Amp owners who think they're collectors, or that they may have to satisfy the whims of collectors somehow, PHOOEY! So now I keep both types in stock, just so I don't have to hear some weenie whining about how "it doesn't look right." So far nobody with an antique amp that had those sphere-tipped toggle bats has given me a hard time about me installing a modern switch, thank hevvins.

Comment

Not sure if it was mentioned already... A possible solution to this problem could be to remove both toggle switches from the amp and replace them with two matching ones. At least in this way you have two matching switches and I think that is what bugs the OCD type people that get so concerned about silly little things in the first place.
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Then there are these little gems, that were always available in Hughes Aircraft Parts Store for building projects back in the 70's. Arrow Hart SPDT Gold Plated Toggle. Mil-spec switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrow-Hart SPDT Gold Toggle Sw-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	850160 Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrow-Hart SPDT Gold Toggle Sw-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	850161
                        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                          Then there are these little gems, that were always available in Hughes Aircraft Parts Store for building projects back in the 70's. Arrow Hart SPDT Gold Plated Toggle. Mil-spec switch.
                          Ah, that's precisely THE RIGHT STUFF nevets! Now all's I gots to do is get in my time machine, go back and pick up a box full of those babies. Well at least I stocked up on knobs from a Boeing 707 cockpit, in case I ever have to fix a 707. They're actually pretty kool! TWO set screws. Now that's what I call having a backup system. Geeze I miss working in North Hollywood, with nearby access to those well-stocked surplus stores in beautiful downtown Burbank.

Comment

Leo, have a look at this page, some toggle's with the sphere although the bats look kind of short to me.
                            http://www.surplussales.com/switches/SWToggle-1.html
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              Leo, have a look at this page, some toggle's with the sphere although the bats look kind of short to me.
                              WHOA! Nice find g1! Those are them - the original Arrow Harts, wow... And plenty of others, some of 'em look downright kinky - "British aircraft" parts. Those wacky Brits! Geeze now I'm gonna have to buy another set of Akro-Mils mini-drawers to hold my ever expanding collection. Thanks mate!

Comment

Working...
                              X