DeoxIT has a shelf life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeoxIT has a shelf life

This is the second bottle of D100 that has shown visible and...smellable...signs of age. I don't know exactly how old it is...maybe six months? Its color is washed out, and it smells dusty, like old walnut oil. Not rancid or stinky, but definitely off. The new bottle has only a barely detectable odor, not at all dusty.

I keep my bottle in easy reach, so it gets daily light from the windows, but no direct sunshine. If it was light sensitive, I hope Caig would put it in a black bottle.

Anyway, just shop talk. Any similar experience?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	873833
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Caig lists shelf life here as 1 year warranty, 4-5 years storage:

http://store.caig.com/core/media/med...022c3220641c6f

I'll see if they'll replace it!
    --

Comment

You might want to call them and ask them about it. They've been very helpful any time I've called. Heck, I have some Cramolin made in Germany. It seems to have a shelf life, too. The aerosol in most of the cans is gone, and some of the cans are leaking around the seams. I hate to see that problem.

Comment

Never mind! My records show I ordered that aging bottle four years ago!
        --

Comment

I have never used the 100, but the spray cans of D5 I have for decades. It takes me a while to go through a can - I don't use it as a power wash for my driveway. And I have never had any fail on me. I can't say it discolored or not, but it continued to work forever. I still have a small amount of Cramolin still. It works, though it does smell a little stale.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've been refilling my small brush-on bottle like those from the spray can of DeOxit D5, and haven't noticed anything. I did have a fresh bottle of Dexoit D100L with a white cap, and doesn't smell any different. The color on this new bottle seems a little lighter. I do see on the spray can the D100 doesn't contain any solvents, inferring that the spray D5 does. I also see on one of my nearly-spent spray cans a notice: Best Used By Sept 2008.

I guess to go further, it would be time to look at their website. I downloaded the Safety Data Sheet for the D100 series products, a comparison graph showing Caig D-series products vs other competitors, a Life Test set of graphs, and a Shelf Life chart on Caig Products. I've attached the four documents.

Caig Products Shelf Life.pdf

Caig Life Test-Humidity-Spray Test.pdf

Caig Oxidation-Protection Test.pdf

SDS-E-D100L_v50.pdf
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              I have never used the 100, but the spray cans of D5 I have for decades. It takes me a while to go through a can - I don't use it as a power wash for my driveway. And I have never had any fail on me. I can't say it discolored or not, but it continued to work forever. I still have a small amount of Cramolin still. It works, though it does smell a little stale.
              I can confirm. Deoxit D5 stays stable for decades and it's the only active deoxidizer I trust. The 100 stuff changes colour, odour and consistency after a while.
              Stopped to use the german Kontakt 60 (now sold by CRC) a long time ago when I noticed that it eats through the bottom of the can. Happened to me twice. What a mess! Also its more aggresive and must be washed off from the treated contacts.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-20-2018, 07:08 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Stopped to use the german Kontakt 60 (now sold by CRC) when I noticed that it eats through the bottom of the can..
                YOW! I'll be avoiding Kontakt 60 then. I go through a can of D5 about once a year. And I still have the two dram bottles of Cramolin red and blue I bought back around 1979, they're lurking somewhere in my workshop. It was the new hot stuff on the market way back then, although apparently Cramolin has been around in some form or another since circa 1928. I guess they started flogging it to the hi fi market in the late 70's.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

cool attachments! Their oxidation protection comparison uses HS2 gas to corrode tin plated copper at 180C, so technically not oxidation in the oxygen sense... but interesting!
                  Last edited by tedmich; 07-21-2018, 05:38 AM.

Comment

My D100 bottle is from 2001, says it expires in 5 years. Bottle is brown and in a white box, no degradation yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X