Shure Beta 58a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shure Beta 58a

I've got a Shure mic on the bench that someone dropped and the top part of the cartridge broke off, right before it enters rubber damper.

Broken off part is stuck inside the rubber damper, I can't pull it out no matter what. I can only get it all the way up to the point where it meets the part from which it broke off.

Since new cartridge costs almost like a second-hand Beta 58a, I'm wondering if I can simply glue it back on? Anyone with experience repairing this kind of damage?

Thank you for your answers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	242-2164_HR_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	873886

Send it to Shure and they`ll replace the mic for a flat fee that`ll cost the customer less in the long run.

Comment

Oops, missed your location!

Comment

Originally posted by m1989jmp View Post
        I've got a Shure mic on the bench that someone dropped and the top part of the cartridge broke off, right before it enters rubber damper.

Broken off part is stuck inside the rubber damper, I can't pull it out no matter what. I can only get it all the way up to the point where it meets the part from which it broke off.

Since new cartridge costs almost like a second-hand Beta 58a, I'm wondering if I can simply glue it back on? Anyone with experience repairing this kind of damage?

Thank you for your answers.
        Sorry buy you already lost it.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Sorry buy you already lost it.
          Thanks for the answer. You mean as in can't be repaired to last?

Comment

Surely the connections to the transducer voice coil have been broken? So gluing the parts back together wouldn't fix that.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
              Surely the connections to the transducer voice coil have been broken? So gluing the parts back together wouldn't fix that.
              Thank you for the reply. The wires were obviously ripped, but the thin plastic T end with voice coil contacts remained intact. After stripping and resoldering the wires back on, the mic works as it should.

I've used some kind of gel contact glue to put it back together and secured it with marine adhesive/sealant if that glue decides to dry out at some point.

My only concern is that the cartridge top is too rigid now (doesn't "float" as before when it was just inserted into rubber damper), but I guess that's a trade off.

Comment

Well good job on getting it connected. I suppose you could fab up some kind of shock mount foam or rubber where you glued it back together, but with added labour you are probably approaching the cost of cartridge replacement.
                Maybe tell the owner to find a shock mount holder/clip for the mic stand.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  Well good job on getting it connected. I suppose you could fab up some kind of shock mount foam or rubber where you glued it back together, but with added labour you are probably approaching the cost of cartridge replacement.
                  Maybe tell the owner to find a shock mount holder/clip for the mic stand.
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I've put some of this stuff around the glued bits, so it's not too rigid but still holds very well:

Click image for larger version

Name:	15230f56-8ca3-4c94-8c36-6e5b3f308f5e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	851391

Comment

Working...
                  X