'57-'58 P-bass pickups w/ raised A poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57-'58 P-bass pickups w/ raised A poles

Are these legit? They look hand beveled to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-58-FENDER-P...QQcmdZViewItem

May well be legit. I suspect someone's sanded the poles to remove rust or blackening which is why they look so rounded on the poles. Clearly the old foam has degraded which is why they've added more.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

So that raises a question:

When do Fender switched from plain enamel to Formvar for the P-Bass pickup.

Comment

I don't like the looks of those tapered bevels on the magnets at all. Would Fender ever have taken the time to do that?

Comment

I don't think Fender ever did taper magnets like that but if you rub them with a strip of emery to clean them up, then that's what's likely to happen.

I don't recall Fender ever using Formvar on P Bass humbucking pickups. That's just a different colour plain enamel. They used lots of different coloured wire.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Ebay very funny. Today I get original old P.Bass pickup with long A poles, original black wax, very perished black rubber, everything fine, but owner wants Sam to make magnets look like one on ebay!!!! He Say 57 pickup should have special round poles like one on ebay. Never say never, but P.Bass pickup normally always have plain enamel

Comment

Sam, what would you know about it? Everyone knows that what you see on ebay is spot-on. Forget all that research you did and the vast collection of genuine vintage Fender and Gibson parts you have. Infact, you should have a look at some Jap Squires, Tokais, Grecos, Orvilles, Burney's, Jedsons, Kays, Sattellite, and so on.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

1/2 hour to go and no bids...I reckon the vultures are perching.

Comment

Another one, seems like it's from two sets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Precision...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I rewound a pair exactly like that a year or so ago. Same thing; one black and one grey. They were a reissue set too.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I can't think of any reason to use two types of bobbins. It's also strange that the guy selling them shows 7 pictures, but none with the covers off. Maybe he doesn't want the noodles to fall out.

Comment

velly bad if noodle fall out! Anyone else think real date is 83? Very common to see leftover grey pickup parts mixed with black parts on late Furrertron guitar. Sometime even one end of bobbin grey, other end black! Spence, maybe you lucky and guy from UK buy it, break it trying to push magnet back and you can rewind another one.

Comment

I wonder what a bamboo slide would sound like.

Comment

Working...
                          X