DS-1 Boss tone mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-1 Boss tone mod

I've done the usual mods to this but, I don't like the tones of the tone pot past 12. What would one change to make this let harsh. Would a 330pF to ground off the output tab of this pot work? Similar to the ProManiac.

I've got a red led in the circuit that is working well, for what its worth.

Great pedal though, I wonder what 18 Volts would sound like.

found - solution

OK well, I came up with this, partly thanks to a YouTube video on modding this pedal type:

DS1 mods

Tone Circuit:
    C6 - take out for more highs or make bigger for treble bleed 10K increase a bit for boost
    C5 to .047 nets a 7K boost at max setting and 169 Hz Bass boost at minimum (less harsh/brittle)
    C4 into .047 gives more bass

C3 and R6 :volume boost
    .47 (338 Hz) 1K

Misc.

C5 - change to 0.1uf
    C11 - change to 0.047uf
    C13 - change to 0.1uf
    R16 - change to 4.7k
    R39 - change to 22k
    D4 - change to 1N4001 and D5 to 1N4148
    [variation: switch between two 1N4002 Diodes and two 3mm Red LEDs]
    1N34A Germanium Diodes give more gain along with a much smoother gain structure and enhanced sustain"

Keely adds 47pf cap across clipping diodes

I notice this DS1 sounds better after a tube buffer (in an effects loop might work great) and works well in series preceding a Big Muff. Alone=Neal Schon lead tone.
    Attached Files

Comment

I notice the schematic is for a SD-1 - here's the DS-1,

Which have you got?

S.

Slightly OT, it's refreshing to see Nobels http://www.nobels.com/
      have schematics on their site for all their pedals.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSS DS-1 Distortion.gif
Views:	1
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	811163

Comment

Oh right thanks, I have the DS1 (orange one). The mods I've done basically fall into three area:

1) Change diodes to 1n4002 or 3 mm LEDs.
        2) Up the caps' uF valuefor better bass.
        3) Upgrade the filtering caps to tantalum types.

These make a big improvement. It still sounds like a 9V pedal though.
        My Boss CS-3 compressor sounds VERY quiet and professional now as well.

Very pleased.

Comment

Another thing, the range of the level pot sounds fullest and MUCH better past 1/2 o 12 oclock. Bust then it like twice as loud as when bypassed. It is directly after the tone circuit so I was thinking of adding a j201 in cf mode between the two. This should isolate the interaction and allow lower setting with the lower impedance with out loss of tone. What do you think? Otherwise I'm going to have build a clean channel to switch between in parallel. Dang!

Comment

Added a J210 in CF configuration preceding the output volume pot. This has really helped to preserve to crunch tones throughout the output level's range.
            But, it still sounds best at higher levels so perhaps it is overdriving the output buffer a bit as well. But you will be heard during a solo.

Also is you want to add a switch one fits great in the battery compartment/under the lid (next to the spring). I'm not a fan of adding one on top in the control area.
            I just read Mark's treatise on diode thresholds which is excellent.

Comment

Working...
            X