No announcement yet.

Vox Phantom IV bass pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You Pepe, for the referrals!! As far as Seymour Duncan, I spoke to Maricela who is the Custom Shop Manger. I've her to duplicate the pickup and she said they don't do that. I'm not Slash, Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen so the buck stops here.
    Currently I will be speaking with Curtis Novak who has expressed to duplicate it. I'll let everyone know if this takes place. He's done an improved version of the Gibson EB-O Mudbucker so he can do this if he wants to take the task.

Comment

It looks like it is just a single coil, like the old tele bass pickup, but in a cover.
      If you have the cover, nearly anyone here could make a pickup for it.
      See post 5.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 08-18-2017, 07:45 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        It looks like it is just a single coil, like the old tele bass pickup, but in a cover.
        If you have the cover, nearly anyone here could make a pickup for it.
        See post 5.
        T
        Yes but the base is different and they are rectangle not rounded as the 50's P bass pickup. I do have those and they are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinbass View Post
          Yes but the base is different and they are rectangle not rounded as the 50's P bass pickup. I do have those and they are not the same.
          I agree.
          Can't rectangular flatwork be made from forbon?
          Do you have the white covers?
          Most of us here have made custom flatwork for one off pickups.
          Cut and drill the flatwork to fit the white cover.
          They actually look a lot like J-Bass Pickups with less magnets.
          Am I missing something?

T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by marvinbass View Post
            Hi jonson,

I just came across this thread. I own 2 UK Vox Bill Wyman basses and now picked up one of the Vox 50th Anniversary Bill Wyman Reissues that came out 10 years ago. I also have a couple of Phantomguitars.com Phantom and Teardrop Copies.
            The Vox Reissue and the 2 Phantomguitars.com bass have an output issue. They have half the volume as my originals!! I am in dire need of those originals pickups or someone you can duplicate them. I tried Seymour Duncan and they refuse to help.

Do you have any of these pickups left or know of someone who can duplicate them?
            I'm not familiar with the Vox 50 year Reissue or Phantom Gutarworks pickups, but I pulled apart a Teardrop bass pickup made a couple of years ago. This was from a short lived run done by Korg/Vox. A very low output pickup. Construction was forban with steel slugs for poles and ceramic magnet glued to the bottom. Very weak magnetic field at the top of the poles, which I believe is the reason for the low output. I didn't bother checking the DC resistance, but can if anyone is interested. I unsuccessfully tried to remove the magnet with the intention of replacing it, possibly with neos. It was glued on so well, I felt severe damage would be done to the bottom. At that point it seemed a better idea was to remake the pickup from scratch using the Fender model (alnico as poles). The most valuable thing about the pickup is the cover.

Comment

Brandoni Custom Guitars - guitar pickups
              1960s Vox bass pickups listed for 45 UK pounds

Comment

Hi bmcd,

The 50th reissue was a Korg/Vox run as well. Yes the pickup covers are the holy grail on these!! I did pull open my UK Vox Wyman bass and low and behold they looked similar to the 50's Bass/Tele pickups!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9452.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	846288
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9453.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	846289
                Last edited by marvinbass; 08-29-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Wow David!! I'll contact them and see what they have!! Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    I've sent 2 emails to them with no response. Does anyone know them?

Comment

what are the dimensions of those magnets? Any guess as to the type of alnico?

Comment

Working...
                      X