Experience with 6AU6 Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with 6AU6 Input

Just wanted to share my recent experiences with trying a 6AU6 input in a 5E3 type amp. This is actually a 5E3X2 amp kit from Weber. I originally planned on just building a pretty straight 5E3 circuit, but when I found the chassis already had an extra preamp tube hole punched I decided to experiment a little. A couple of recent threads here on pentode preamps wetted my appetite. And a past very successful amp project where the circuit was based on the Matchless Clubman but using a 6AU6 pentode instead of an EF86, combined with the fact that I've got more than a dozen vintage 6AU6 tubes and they seem relatively plentiful and cheep, I decided to go with a 6Au6 input for one channel, a standard 12AX7 input on the other channel. I did a few other mods as well, such as reducing the input cathode resistor value to 4.7uf and the coupling cap values to cut bass; separated the Volume controls and wired up more common style with the wiper as the output not the input; fixed bias phase inverter; and a couple others.

The first problem I had with the 6AU6 channel was a low dc voltage on the grid making the guitar controls scratchy. I ended up using a .1uf cap to block the dc off the input and this took care of the scratchy guitar controls. But then I had problems with just a lot of noise at idle, and a lot of microphonics at high volume.

The 12AX7 side is fine, nice & quiet and sounds just like a 5E3, only a lot louder, and a lot more headroom, a lot more usable volume control, but it never quite breaks up like a normal 5E3, it doesn't get the same grind even when dimed. And this with a 12AX7 input instead of a 12AY7. Sure sounds a lot better with humbuckers, for sure, but missing that great 5E3 grind.

The 6Au6 channel kicks major ass! Sounds incredibky awesome with tones of gain, plenty of grind, sustain, feedback, everything. But, the high noise floor is bothersome. To quell the microphonics I installed a rubber Oring under the tube socket, then I installed small rubber orings under the socket mount screws. Then I installed some self adhesive foam insulating strips on the cabinet wherev er it contacts the chassis, as well as the back panel. And I installed rubber grommets in the chassis where the mount screws pass thru it, and rubber washers under the heads of the chassis mount screws. I've done everything I can think of to quell the vibrations. And it was about 90% successfull in quelling the vibrations, but that last 10% is really bugging me. The tube doesn't ring with microphonics on the note attack, but as the note or chord rings out and shakes the cabinet the tube then emits a low frequency loud rattle that overwhelms the note/chord. This with the volume set to around 5 to 7 or so. With the volume cranked up even higher it seems the sheer volume of the note/chord covers it up, but it's still there and it bugs me.

With the Clubman type amp I built I do not have these problems at all. The amp sounds great, with no microphonics and no noise issues. But in that case it isn't the input, it's the second stage.

I'm about to give up on the idea and strip it out and try something else. Again, I love the sound of the amp, incredibly good tone, very full, lots of bass; cleans sound fantastic, much better than the 12AX7 side, and when turned up it pushes the amp hard with lots of great grind. Just what you want with this type of amp. Where a 5E3 will give a big amp a bloody nose, this one will cut a bigger amp off at the knees. But, the noise issues are too much for me to live with.

I'm thinking of trying a 12A_7 tube wired up as a cascode for the input. I might run into similar noise issues, but perhaps microphonics won't be as much of an issue. Seems like something worth trying though.

Not all 6AU6 tubes are the same, some are much noisier than others. Have you tried some tubes from different manufacturers?

I made an amp with a 6AU6, and I had to isolate my tube socket just like you did. I eventually went with a shielded tube socket, with the shield's spring stretched a bit to hold the tube tighter in the socket. I loved the sound I got
    from this tube too. It's a bit picky to use, but I think the tone makes up for it.

Ken
    www.angeltone.com

Comment

I've tried about half a dozen tubes, most of the old tubes, some NOS. Some are worse than others. But I haven't exhausted my supply yet, so I probably should do that before I make any changes. Also, I may try some kind of tube damper to see if that helps.

Comment

You can try what Mesa used to do and put some thick, high temperature shrink tubing directly around the glass of the tube. I have no idea if that actually works but I think they used to do it for the same reasons as you. It's worth a shot. I'm sure Mouser has something big enough to fit for just a couple of bucks.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cbarrow7625 View Post
          You can try what Mesa used to do and put some thick, high temperature shrink tubing directly around the glass of the tube. I have no idea if that actually works but I think they used to do it for the same reasons as you. It's worth a shot. I'm sure Mouser has something big enough to fit for just a couple of bucks.

Chris
          Yeah, I did that. That was the last trick I did, I didn't notice any difference. I really don't see why it would, but I gave it a shot. (I have some heat shrink tubing the right size. I use it to cover the connection between speaker cord and the 1/4" jacks on the ends when I build speaker cords)

I think in order for a tube damper to be effective, if they can be, is they have to have some weight to them, which will change the resonant frequency; much like how adding weight to motorcycle handlebars will quell the vibrations. They'll still vibrate, but at a much lower frequency so that it isn't even noticeable. I frankly don't think those rubber orings people install over tubes will do anything, but at this point I'd give them a try.

Comment

Just to follow up on this project. I went thru my stash of tubes, trying each of them in the amp and checking for both noise at idle and for microphionics due to vibration. Most of the old tubes and NOS tubes I have are pretty noisy in one way or another. But after going thru a couple dozen I ended up with a handfull that are not bad. I then went down to the local hardware store and searched thru the bins for something that might wrk as a dampner. I found a rubber grommet for a 7/8" hole that fit nice and snug on the tube, then picked up a 7"8" flat washer. The washer weighs about 2.5oz and is about 2.25" diameter. I ground about .5" off it, which reduced the weight down to about 1.5oz. Then I inserted the grommet into the washer and slid the whole thing onto the tube in the socket. I played the amp for about an hour tonight and had no microphonic problems at all. There is slightly more noise at idle with the 6AU6 compared to the 12AX7. But the gain is so much higher. If I back the Volume control off on the 6Au6 channel so that the gain is aboout equal with the 12AX7 channel when it is cranked, the noise is about the same. So, I'm a happy camper at this point. I'm going to keep an eye out for 6AU6 tubes as I want to accumulate a few more quiet ones. So I'll probably have to aquire quite a few and sort thru them for the good ones.

Comment

Here's a couple pic's

Socket w/ orings:

Foam at chassis mount:
              [IMG]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8...42largebl5.jpg[/IMG]

Foam on back panel:
              [IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5...43largeeu1.jpg[/IMG]

Chassis in cab, note the foam sandwiched between the cab and the chassis:
              [IMG]http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1...49largerp2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I have an old Sony Superscope from 1961 that uses a pair of 6AU6's for drivers into a pair of 6AQ5's in stereo. The sockets are mounted on rubber grommets and springs just because of that same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
                  Just wanted to share my recent experiences with trying a 6AU6 input in a 5E3 type amp. .

Hi Hasserl, Or anyone else.

Do you have a link for the Clubman schematic referenced in your post? I'm kluging an EF86 to the front of a Champ but have a pile of 6AU6s and did a mental head slap.
                  If you have a sketch of what you did that would be cool too.
                  Thanks,
                  Regards,

Mike

Comment

Hi Hasserl,

Did you have a look at Alexander's Retrodyne amp page ?
                    He used the same 6au6 tube and is very enthusiastic too.
                    You might ask him for some advice .

http://www.retrodyne1.com/29Wamp.html

I have about sixteen of these tubes and want to use them if possible.

Do you have a schematic of your amp that I could have a look at ?

Regards, Alf

Comment

Wow. That's pretty!
                      Regards,

Mike

Comment

sounds like a cool project!

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
                        Yeah, I did that. That was the last trick I did, I didn't notice any difference. I really don't see why it would, but I gave it a shot. (I have some heat shrink tubing the right size. I use it to cover the connection between speaker cord and the 1/4" jacks on the ends when I build speaker cords)

I think in order for a tube damper to be effective, if they can be, is they have to have some weight to them, which will change the resonant frequency; much like how adding weight to motorcycle handlebars will quell the vibrations. They'll still vibrate, but at a much lower frequency so that it isn't even noticeable. I frankly don't think those rubber orings people install over tubes will do anything, but at this point I'd give them a try.
                        as far as Mesa and their heatshrinked "SPAX7"s, the ones I have (bought some time ago) are the old Shuguang 12AX7 with those shiny stiffener things on the plate and I wonder if those were actually doing anything, since as far as I could tell (from also having non-Mesa sourced Shuguangs) those were typically low noise anyway (I suppose in part due to the construction).

Comment

Hey guy's, sorry I didn't see these replies before right today. Here are links to both schematics:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...asterrev-d.pdf

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...hem&layout.pdf

Alf, I did correspond with Alex. He gave me some good advice that helped. The biggest thing I found was that these can just be very noisy tubes. But I just bought 11 NOS tubes off eBay for like 18 bucks shipped. All but one of them turned out to be good quality tubes, perfectly useable and they sound great. That's less than 3 bucks per tube for NOS vintage tubes, not a bad score! Try doing that with 12AX7's.

Comment

Hi Hasserl,

Thanks for the schems.
                            Glad you were able to pick up some of those 6au6's so cheap.
                            Your amp looks great , how does the Weber speaker sound , it's an Alnico , isn't it ?

Regards, Alf

Alf

Comment

Yes, it's alnico. It sounds big and FAT! I really like these speakers, I have on in a 5E5A Pro also. If I play the same amp thru a 4 x 10 cabinet the bass is much tighter and the speakers are very fast and super responsive. The big 15" get's a little loosy goosy on the bottom end with lot's of OD (especially on the 5E5A). But when played clean they have a sweetness to them that I don't hear from other speakers, and when the OD get's cranked up and the bass is rolled off they sound big and fat. Perfect for guys like me that like to dig in to the fret board and lean on the amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X