Lace Alumitone Short Technical Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lace Alumitone Short Technical Review

I just purchased the Lace Alumitone Humbuckers set (black).
    Here are the technical details for those interested.

Each magnet is: 1 3/32" long; 7/32" wide and 1/8" thick ceramic.

The metal frame of the pickup shell is also the two primary humbucking windings and it is also 1/8" thick. The magnets are glued to a plastic shelf which is also glued to the underside of the alumium shell. The magnets sit about even with the top of the alumium shell. There is very little string pull.

There is a transformer core that wraps around the alumium coil and core on one side. The other side seems notched to accomodate another similar transformer coil and core which would allow 4-wire traditional pickup coil switching. The transformer coil has two wires that are independent of the ground which allows series switching and phase reversal. The ground is connected to copper tape which is bonded to the aluninum shell under the center strip. This is the ground strip from which I obtained my capacitance measurements (below).

Each magnet is polarized North and South as it faces the strings.

The strings only pass over one magnet so the sound is rather "single-coilish" but is brighter as the DC resistance is lower but the inductance is rather high for these resistance values. Here are the critical measured values on my set:
    Pickup 1: 3.40K ohm at 10.70H with 32pf coil lead to ground capacitance, 8.3 kHZ resonance (pickups alone, out of the circuit).
    Pickup 2: 3.42K ohm at 13.24H with 24pf coil lead to ground capacitance, 8.7kHZ resonance (pickups alone, out of the circuit).

According to Jeff Lace these pickups were designed for 250K pot values for volume and tone, with either .02uF or .05uF tone caps (.05uF is the preferred value according to Jeff). I loaded one of these pickups down to about 150K ohms before I could hear the highs being noticeably cut.

These pickups sound a lot like active pickups with a low turns count of thicker wire using active electronics to restore the gain lost by the fewer wire turns.

My plan is to add an EMG BQC concentric bass and treble stacked control and the mid sweep and boost/cut concentric control to see how I can taylor the sound. The input impedance of this BQC module is 200K according to EMG and my examination of the input circuit component values.

These pickups are very quiet, even when sitting right in front of my computer. This key feature would indicate that they can be activly tone shaped without adding too much additional noise.

One interesting qualatative observation is that the Alumitones seem to have the upper harmonic structure that is typical of acoustic guitars which electric guitar pickups tend to mask with the sharp roll off past the resonance point. This is relevant of only string harmonics, not wood or body harmonics that is also present in acoustic guitar pickups.

I hope this answers some questions.

Joseph Rogowski

That inductance reading is weird aint it, for a coil that size anyway. Thanks for the review Joseph.

Comment

the inductance is coming off the transformer I think...
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I am no expert by a long shot but I am betting the high inductance is due to the amount of aluminum and metal in the PU itself. Just a guess, I imagine Joe G can shed some light on it better than I ever could. The low winds along with the ceramic mags are to keep good high end and the acoustical properties with all that metal and aluminum. They are pretty darn neat though

Comment

Well Possum, it looks like it's just you and me for the Christmas thing here.
          I for one am flat broke and am just sitting here killing time till this wretched holiday is over. I feel awful about not being able to get my kids anything at all but I feel keeping the power on and them warm and out of the elements is better than some gifts they wont even care about in a few days or weeks.

Does this make me a grinch?

Comment

Not the only ones here, guys!

Comment

still here...

think positive, it attracts money :-) My wife is making good money right now, my health has been dicey last 6 months haven't even played at the jams, miss it alot but not necesserily the cigarette smoke and drunks part of that. Can't drink myself or it'd make me sicker. Getting better though, looks like the new year is going to be good. You got your health, the heat is on, kids fed, you're doing good!

Those Alumitones suck, have you listened to sound clips? Shrill to the bone, if some guy cranked his amp real loud with one of those things in it I'd be headed for the ear plugs then the door shortly after :-) You think they would have designed in more treble attenuation, sure they look cool but I wouldn't sell anything that edgey myself....
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Yeah you are right possum, I just dont like this holiday much. I do understand the true meaning of it but it has gotten so commercial it's saddening. I didn't realise you were as sick as you are. I hope everything turns out for the best with you Possum and you better not up and leave us here Bro. This place wouldn't be the same with no Possum

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                  the inductance is coming off the transformer I think...
                  I have to think about this. The one-turn aluminum pickup coil is always in the circuit, so in theory one is reading the inductance of the coil, as transformed by the transformer. To read the inductance of the transformer secondary (which faces the amp, not the strings) one would have to open-circuit or remove the one-turn primary. Even so, 10.5 Henry is higher than expected. I'll have to reread the patent.

Is the measurement correct? Although not stated, I assume that this is 10.5 H at 1000 Hz. Was this measured using an Extech LCR Meter?

Comment

Alumitone Inductance Measurements

The Alumitone inductance measurements were done with a Tenma Model 72-6634 LCR meter at 1000Hz.

I also have a miniature audio transformer with a 1245 ohm secondary coil that measures 16H, so the alumitone inductance is within reason due to the large metal core.

Joseph Rogowski

Comment

bbsailor is my screen name: Barnegat Bay Sailor in NJ, located about 35 miles North of Atlantic City.

Comment

...sorry, my error. I deleted my original posting.
                        ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Lace sucks was a fashion statement when I started working there, I struggled to change that image - they seem to do well on The FDP other then that they take a beating still..

while working there i discovered something about wire gauge,

the sensors use 45 46 gauges --

I ran a test with 43 vs, 42 here with a tele bridge
                          one was 6k at 43 the other was 42 at 6k

people who did not play guitar like the 43 @6k
                          people who played liked the 42 @6k

when I used Sensors on stage while employed there for testing reasons...

I would receive many compliments on the tone of the Strat from non- players as if it was the best Strat guitar sound they heard --
                          on the other hand the players at the same jam HATED the sound..

I Think I figured out why and told Jeff Lace what it was..

it was all about ear comfort as a listener - ear muscles seem to not move around uncomfortably from wire 43 at 6k as they seem to do when the receive notes from wire 42 at 6k -- now think of wire 45 & 46 much less muscle movement - easier to listen to for the average music lover -(non musician)

try this test - do not listen with your ears but feel the muscle movement instead -- the bigger wire cause's more movement - its actually uncomfortable to experience...

because of this I realized what was going on with Laces skinny wire 45 & 46 and that whole Love em or hate em out poring of approval or harsh criticism that seemed to plague the company - and still does today..

Players prefer that big tone with girth

Listeners want less girth and less ear muscle motion

in a contest like this - The Players win -- but considering the listeners comfort levels is a good thing to keep in mind - especially if your selling your music to the non-playing fans..

I just wound a wire 43 Strat neck flush/pole to 6.9k and put a old Lace Chrome Dome cover over it and stuck it in the neck of my tele for a test..

a few Gigs and I see what i think and what non players think..
                          Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

Comment

holiday...

Yeah Xmas if you know the history of it is actually and always was a pagan solstace kind of celebration, the giving of presents, food and drink and dancing. The Christians wanted to stamp everyone with their religion so declared that Dec. 25th was JC's birthday which it never was and actually is unknown. Then there's the fact that JC is composite character and wasn't actually a single person and may not have even existed at all, the story of him is identical to a whole bunch of more ancient stories of gods born of virgin birth etc. etc. So now its about mass consumption and our economic index depends on its existence! Its like the same deal they judge the health of our economy on how many houses or cars are being sold, its totally insane thinking. To me its just another day and a week off from annoying clients and time to catch up on pickups :-) My health is getting better a little at a time, so I'm optimisitic....
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
                              The Alumitone inductance measurements were done with a Tenma Model 72-6634 LCR meter at 1000Hz.
                              A 3Kohm series resistance can flummox some LCR meters, but not the Extech. A common effect of added series resistance is that the reported inductance is a factor larger than the truth.

The Tenma 72-6634 is no longer carried by Tenma, but I did find a specsheet. The test frequency is 250 Hz, not 1000 Hz. Given the lack of any words about the amount of tolerable series resistance, one would doubt that the tolerance is large.

The Tenma 72-8155, which appears to be the replacement for the 72-6634, does manage 1000 Hz for the 2-19.99 H range.

The Tenma 72-960 Dual Display LCR meter appears to be a competitor to the Extech 380193 LCR Meter, having the same price and the main functions of the Extech, so the 72-960 may be an alternative to the Extech. The Extech has 12 buttons, versus 8 for the Tenma, but I bet they use the same chip. In any event, they both specify that the dissipation factor cannot exceed 0.5 for the claimed measurement accuracy to be achieved, which means that the DC resistance cannot exceed one half of the inductive reactance at the measurement frequency. Inductive reactance in ohms is computed as 2*Pi*f*L, where f is the frequency in Hertz and L is the inductance in Henrys.

http://www.mcmconnect.com/tenma/cate...ters&CMP=tenma

I also have a miniature audio transformer with a 1245 ohm secondary coil that measures 16H, so the alumitone inductance is within reason due to the large metal core.
                              It is plausible for an audio transformer to have a 16 Henry winding. What kind of transformer is it? Output, input, interstage, etc?

A simple experiment is to put a 50K linear pot in series with the transformer secondary, measure the inductance of the composite of winding plus pot, and see how the inductance reported by the Tenma LCR meter varies as the pot is adjusted. If the inductance varies much, the meter will be flummoxed by high-resistance inductors.

By the way, does anybody recall the Alumitone patent number or numbers?

Comment

Working...
                              X