Alnico 5 Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 5 Magnets

I was looking for a source on Alnico 5 Magnets. One of my sources was listed on the forum sticky however I have some questions since they didn't care about my use they just wanted specs for a quote.

Humbucker bar size. I see some retailers have sizes listed somewhere between true metric and inch sizes. I assume 1/8 x 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches is standard with the poles going across the 1/2 width and not length and this size would fit most pre made base plates.

The second is fender style rods. I noticed that some like single pole pickup's with flat and straight poles and others like the ramped or staggered look which follows the radius of the fingerboard (maybe not the right term). I also noted that some of the cheaper overseas suppliers use plates which are drilled for 5mm rather than 3/16 of an inch. Any one try the 3/16inch size rods on the 5mm drilled blanks? Also I am assuming the poles are along the length of the rod magnet not its width. has any one noticed and big difference in staggered Vs straight poles? the total height, does anyone have a standard pole size they find fits the bill on most instruments and provides a good sound.

Any other help with buying magnets in bulk would be appreciated. Also who sells a machine to charge the rod magnets and would you also have to charge a humbucker magnet as well?

You can charge magnets yourself using neodymium magnets, go look at StewMac's site and find their magnets, there's usually a tab there that has instructions, it'll give you some ideas. Stagger versus flat poles will start arguments on which is better I like both. No, 3/16" magnets will fall through 5mm flatwork holes, learn to make your own flatwork or you're stuck with whats out there. Lollar's out of print book tells how. You have to buy at least 1,000 magnets of any type before you get a break on the pricing, otherwise StewMac , GuitarUSA etc. is good at a hobby level. Magnet chargers run about $600 and up, you can probably find plans on Ebay or google to build your own or buy something used.
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Looks like the 5mm chinese plates are cheaper. Does anybody know who sells uncut or cut metric Alnico 5 rods? Or do I have to buy everything in china LOL.

I have already seen the Stumac sites documentation and several others charging rod magnet setups using neodymium round magnets. Just wondering if anyone had a link to a pro machine for my reference.

I am certianly not looking at hobby prices given the huge markup like StuMac has. I cant see where buying from a manget dealer would cost more unless you buy a 1000 pieces? Scraatching my head? I will certianly be looking around for a deal even if I have to go to several different manufacturers.

Comment

Is Steven Kersting is still selling parts, if anyone can verify that it would be good.

http://www.ampge.com/components.htm

Dan

Comment

Yes, Kersting still sells supplies and (unlike most suppliers) his service is very good. I buy form him fairly regularly. The supplies I've bought appear to be GJ parts.

Comment

I have Kerstings price lists. Steven was very kind when I emailed him but he has a limit on pricing discounts, there is a discount for $300+ but not $3000 plus. He is on my list of suppliers with whom I will be comparing prices and quality. I also have contacted several magnet manufacturers who have no clue about pickups, They just want sizes and quantity and is the reason I need all the info I can get. Makes it easier to shop around.

I emailed GJ and received no response about wholesale purchasing. I clearly stated it was to build pickups not resell parts. Given his listed prices Kersting is much cheaper.

Comment

Most of the magnets are coming from China anyway so just go to China Magnet.
              I use Allstar because they are right across the river from me. 100pc price is $.35, 1000 pc price is $.31 on 3/16" x .75" alnico V. I doubt you'll find them less than $.25 ea direct from China. Allstar mags are charged up.

Comment

Do you have a link for China magnet? I get a dozen hits with no real name under China Magnet. I will check out Allstar. I may also start looking north to find a supplier who sells metric sizes. Still debating whether its worth the time and effort to make my own flatwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodenspoke View Post
                  Do you have a link for China magnet? I get a dozen hits with no real name under China Magnet. I will check out Allstar. I may also start looking north to find a supplier who sells metric sizes. Still debating whether its worth the time and effort to make my own flatwork.
                  Well, I feel compelled to say perhaps you should Skip Allstar Magnets- I had dealings with them in the not so long past with terrible service so I will express so. There are lots of magnet companys too, Dura mag, arnold magnetics etc that can supply your needs without any issues and have good service too : )

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                    Well, I feel compelled to say perhaps you should Skip Allstar Magnets- I had dealings with them in the not so long past with terrible service so I will express so. There are lots of magnet companys too, Dura mag, arnold magnetics etc that can supply your needs without any issues and have good service too : )
                    Wade,

Do you have particular salespeople's names that you deal with at the companies that you referenced? I contacted Arnold a while back and they didn't have a clue about what i was talking about.....it was also like pulling teeth to get any info from them.
                    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I never bought anything from AllStar, but the guy I talked to seemed to know which magnets the pickup makers use. I didn't know what I wanted yet, and he was being very helpful. And when he didn't hear from me in a while, went through the trouble to whois my website to find my number and called me up. I was impressed by that.

I forget his name, but he was mentioned here in the past.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Rob Parr is the guy I talked to at allstar magnetics. He seemed to know all about pickup magnets and knew the relevant part numbers and dimensions off the top of his head.
                        The .187" x .75" A5 rods are M-10259-m These are stocked. Chamfering could be special-ordered at $.07 per end but takes several weeks.

I just got an email from these guys:
                        Universal (Ningbo) Magnetech Co., Ltd.
                        Company Address: No.99, Baining Street, Jiangdong, ningbo China
                        ZIP/Postal code: 315041
                        Tel: +86-574-87392455
                        Fax: +86-574-87888234
                        Mobil: +86-13429281212

Email: universalmagnet@hotmail.com
                        magnetuniversal@hotmail.com
                        Web: www.cn-unimag.com

Comment

Rob Parr is the guy I've worked with too there. Never had any problems with him and he gives straight answers -- if they don't have it/don't make it, he'll say so. But they've never screwed up an order for me either content-wise or delay-wise.

I use Magnetic Hold primarily these days because they will make my mags in ANY dimension I want -- they have yet to tell me no to any dimension spec I've thrown at them, bars or rods, including A6 -- whereas Allstar has your basic vintage dimensions with very little variance possibilities. The only thing Magnetic Hold doesn't do is Alnico 4 and Alnico 8, so I stay with Allstar for those.
                          Last edited by Zhangliqun; 12-30-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Yep, Rob Parr. Seemed very helpful to me.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Allstar has always reamed me on prices, shop around. They are good if you have big orders, but when I've been in a bind they've charged me the highest prices I've ever paid for magnets outside of retail. Arnold is a nightmare to deal with, they are a conglomerate company meaning they have divisions all over the country so communicating with them is very hard and they are very slow to fulfill orders. Magnetic Hold is the best service without attitude that I've run across, really nice guy, good magnets, straight up guy.
                              http://www.SDpickups.com
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                              X