Passive Bass Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive Bass Wiring

Hello i have a passive esp bass and i was wondering if you could suggest me any modifications, such a slap switch or stuff like this....

Q's

What is the pickup configuration or model? What kind of effect are you hoping for? What do you mean by "slap switch"? Need more info...

Comment

Its a PJ bass.... with the following config.
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/...501030-100.pdf
      the one on the second page (spb3 + sjb3b)

A switch that would boost slap freqs.
      Or do you have anything else to suggest me that you like?
      Thanks!

Comment

To boost or cut frequencies and such you would probably be looking at installing a preamp... as for simple mods (which aren't going to make a huge difference) changing the value of the pots and/or capacitor will alter the amount of low and high frequencies available - not much, though.

You might want to think more in terms of an effect pedal - EQ or a treble booster. Plenty of those out there. You want more highs stomp the effect in, stomp off for regular tone. Or perhaps an offboard preamp....

Comment

what else would i gain if i had an onboard preamp?

Comment

Originally posted by iassael View Post
            what else would i gain if i had an onboard preamp?
            The slap switch is part of their preamp. It notches the mids and boosts the bass.

What you gain with an onboard preamp is active tone controls, and a brighter tone from the pickups because they are buffered.

With passive pickups there's not a whole lot you can do that's useful for bass besides wiring them in series. Out of phase is too thin to use. You can install an LC filter to notch the mids.

I'm working on an ESP/LTD F-255FM at the moment. The ownder is swapping out the pickups and preamp for Barts and an Aguilar OBP-3. I actually thought the stock pickups sounded pretty good.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

i had the cheapest esp so i changed them with basslines....
              Are there any schematics of an onboard preamp?
              that i could try to built?
              Thanks

Comment

any help?

Comment

First off, do you have enough room in the cavity for a battery in addition to a PCB? I checked around quickly and couldn't find any "small" designs that would work. I am a member of another forum and I recommend bringing your request over there. It is a stompbox effect site but I know several other members have done work along the same lines as you're thinking. Here it is:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php

I know of a few members who frequent both of these sites - there is often some overlap.
                  Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X