Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Wide Range Humbucker patent

Can't find the patent on this one.

Seth Lover is said to have designed it for Fender for use on 1971-79 Thinline Telecaster and Starcaster (Coronado?) hollow bodies.

Some sources say the pickups differed from the Lover PAF in that
    they used Cunife for the pole magnets, and were somewhat
    underwound at 6800 winds total.

Cunife I's numbers suggest a slightly undercharged Alnico II
    save that it was much easier to machine.

Does anyone have a patent number?
    I'm guessing it would be between 1968 and 1974.

-drh
    He who moderates least moderates best.

...I did a GOOGLE PATENT search on Seth Lover+Fender+CuNiFe and didn't find anything, but that was a couple years ago.

...FWIW, CuNiFe materials are *still* around and in use, predominately as core slugs in Linear Velocity Transducers.
    ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tele man View Post
      ...I did a GOOGLE PATENT search on Seth Lover+Fender+CuNiFe and didn't find anything, but that was a couple years ago.
      Be aware that Google Patent runs on scanned OCR-converted images, yielding searchable text that is rife with errors, making keyword search chancy. Try more smaller searches, to reduce the impact of OCR garbles.

Comment

buy a real one and take it apart. I had one on a tele when I was a kid, I hated that thing.....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          buy a real one and take it apart. I had one on a tele when I was a kid, I hated that thing.....
          We're building a pickup patents table over at
          http://www.pickupedia.info/index.php/Patents

I'm trying to get the table filled out,
          so I don't need the actual pup structure bits right yet.

-drh
          --

Comment

another idea...

why don't you have a photo gallery of pickup pix there as well. I look forever trying to find a P13 photo of the guts, none on the web.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Great idea.

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              why don't you have a photo gallery of pickup pix there as well. I look forever trying to find a P13 photo of the guts, none on the web.
              You expect a f*ck of a lot from a project that started five days ago.

And yes, a list of pickups with images and maybe drawings of the
              internals of basic pickup types is essential, but where do we get
              drawings that are not copyrighted? Go begging hat in hand to
              Duncan, DiMarzio,etc?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Submissions would be even better.

-drh

Comment

...I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "maybe" CBS-Fender didn't actually patent the Fender/Seth Lover "Wide-Range Humbucker Pickup" for three possible reasons: (A) it was designed by Seth Lover who had also designed the original HB for Gibson, (B) it was only a 'utility' design-change (location of adjusting screws), and (C) the use of CuNiFe wasn't considered unique enough(?)

...I'm just guessing here, because I've searched and found nothing.

Comment

Lover's original patent covers split coil humbuckers like this. Fender got around the patent when making the P bass pickup, by getting their own patent on a split coil pickup with unequal size coils.

So maybe it was Lover's original patent.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    So maybe it was Lover's original patent.
                    ...could be, but I doubt it since he (Seth Lover) assigned all rights to Gibson...and I seriously doubt CBS-Fender would "rent" manufacturing rights.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrangelove View Post
                      And yes, a list of pickups with images and maybe drawings of the internals of basic pickup types is essential, but where do we get drawings that are not copyrighted? Go begging hat in hand to
                      Duncan, DiMarzio,etc?
                      The cleanest solution is to make one's own drawings, and copyright them for good measure. The copyright owner can then choose to publish the work on the web. Copyright protects the expression, not the idea. Unlike patents.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tele man View Post
                        ...could be, but I doubt it since he (Seth Lover) assigned all rights to Gibson...and I seriously doubt CBS-Fender would "rent" manufacturing rights.
                        True.

Were the Wide Range pickups ever patented?

Maybe it's this one then? 3177283
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

...couldn't be #3177283 because it's Leo Fender-era and was submitted in 1961, and Seth Lover was later, during the CBS-era...mid-late 1960's.

...it's an interesting design though, having the tone control only on the treble two strings!

Comment

Am I missing something or is the Patent web site messed up. For about 2 weeks I cant get any text or Pictures to come up, the page loads with the next page, previous page arrow things and tells how many pages but no visible text or pics?????

Comment

Uspto?

Originally posted by madialex View Post
                              Am I missing something or is the Patent web site messed up. For about 2 weeks I cant get any text or Pictures to come up, the page loads with the next page, previous page arrow things and tells how many pages but no visible text or pics?????
                              If you mean the US Patent office, then you may need to tweak your browser
                              plug-in configuration to use QuickTime to read the USPTO .tiff images.

I can't get anything to happen under Linux and have resorted to
                              downloading .pdf files from PAT2PDF.ORG

Can someone else help here?
                              I don't use Internet Explorer.

-drh

Comment

Working...
                              X