Pickup Winder: drill + fishing reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Winder: drill + fishing reel?

OK crazy idea, but just wondering if anyone has tried using an open-faced fishing reel (i.e. spinning reel) powered by a drill as a pickup winder?

The drill could be connected to the crank handle and the pickup bobbin could be affixed to the spindle in place of the fishing line bobbin

The spindle is geared to move up and down which I would think given its lack of real precision would effectively result in a scatter wind.

The bale (the heavy wire that reels in the fishing line) would serve to pull the wire onto the bobbin.

Thoughts?

...how are you planning on controlling the "layering" process so that you get an (a) "controlled" even distribution or (b) a random "scattered" layering?
    ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

I did once use a multiplier reel. Essentially I was just using the level wind mechanism as a traverse for the pickup wire. So the reel was driven by belt that also drove the pickup bobbin seperately. By adjusting the distance of the fishing reel to the bobbin I could get the traverse to precisely match the traverse width of the bobbin.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Working...
      X