les paul noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• les paul noise

I am trying to figure out a nasty "ground buzz" on a les paul . It does this with the volumes OFF / and on...

Ive checked / re-flowed and triple checked ALL grounds. Ive also put a meter on them , they all measure around 0.2 ohms. Even to the tuners.

Im wondering about the long cable that runs from the switch to the control cavity. This one does have a shield . Ive tried no shield , one end grounded , both ends grounded.

Still buzzes . Gets REAL noisy when i grab a couple of those wires in that cable........

So---in a LP with 2 , 4 conductor pickups, whats the general rule on the shield for the switch wire ? Im assuming both ends to ground ?

man, this one has me stumped, almost like the original shield wire is broken somewhere along the line....

no one ?

Mr. Schwab ---are you around ?

Comment

Hmmmm. Usually on a LP when the volumes are off you have no signal at all.

I had something like this happen when I was wiring up a bass last week, and it was a missing ground wire.

If all the grounds are good, and some wires hum when you touch them, see if one of those wires is hot when it shouldn't be.

The body of the switch should be grounded. All grounds should be a continuous connection. That cable might be bad. Maybe you should try and replace it.

I'd just take everything out and start over!
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

yea, i was thinking of starting with a new cable to the switch .

what is weird though is everything on there tests great as far as grounds.

ill let you know-- thanks

Comment

I bet the grounds are OK and one of the hot wires is bad.

It's real hard to track down that stuff sometimes.. when you find it, it will be very obvious!

Good luck, and let us know how you made out.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

i replaced that entire cable. Still noisy but better. Its only if you are NOT touching the strings/metal or the volumes are off.

i give up.

Comment

Hum question,,??

Hi,
              Is it only with your LP ?If no,check your lead cable beetween your axe and your amp,try to see if your amp is well grounded ,because if not the residual noise can be heard even if all the pots are close .Best shunt your jack and plug your guitar,do you hear a noticeable change? .It was happened to me with old cables after ten years of use ,the rubber became old and porous and the shielded copper brains finished to be oxydizited .I've done all my cables with the same bobbin from Mogami and in the space of one year all died with that symptom.I had to replace all of them with new cable.
              If your cables are Ok ,check your amp main grounding and measure your guitar pots
              Fuzzman

Comment

its definately THAT guitar

Comment

Hum with LP

Hi,
                  Try to desolder your Pup's and all the circuity after the pots to isolate other parts form the problem.Resold one lead at each time and test until the hum come back.It looks like you've got an antenna with the strings ,capacitive hum is sometime difficult to find,let me know
                  Fuzzman

Comment

I have the same problem. Have you checked to see if there is a wire coming from the bridge or tailpiece post to earth the strings. Does your les paul have the metal cans shielding everything?

Comment

Make sure you have the 2 wires from the input jack wired correctly..

Comment

Ok this is an old post but what was the outcome?

Seems like I"ve got the same problem

Sad Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X