guitar effects problem -- suddenly no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar effects problem -- suddenly no sound

I have a Ibaniez TS9 and a Boss EQ and DD-6 that I have used at home fine practicing -- took them to a gog tonight end could nto get any sound at all out of any of them -- cords were fine and live from amp to guitar (which I had to use w/o effect pedals), but for some reason I could get no sound thru any of these pedals even though they had worked fine all week at home -- WTF?

Any clues for me? I have to think I'm pulling some gumby mistake, but all the cords were otherwise hot and the batteries were fresh in the boxes plus all the LEDs light up bright... help!

Have you since tried the pedals at home yet? Try one pedal at a time. Sometimes you get in a hurry before a show and it can cause us all to do some goofy things like plugging the input cord to the output and visa versa.
    Or someone has turned a output level on a pedal down.

Comment

Sorry if this is too late, been fighting the flu and not watching close...

Those are the most likely scenarios, along with dead batteries. I don't know how many times I've found myself in a bind 10 minutes before a gig when suddenly I have no sound only to find out the volume on one effect was turned down while loading things in the trunk...or I plugged an input into an output jack in the half dark on stage. That's why I finally got some 2" velcro and put everything on a pedalboard, plug one cable into each end, one AC adapter and it all should work, it all stays plugged together correctly.

So I got onstage one night and had almost no volume, and didn't notice it because I only did a low volume sound check to make sure I did have sound, only thing left was turn it up to match the band...no go...bypassed the wireless and pedalboard, plugged straight into amp with only my volume pedal and during break checked it out...I had forgotten to set the output volume of the wireless receiver so it was sending a very low signal to the amp...yes, I felt dumb...

I've been playing 47 years, 30 of it onstage, and that kind of thing happens no matter how careful you are. You get in a hurry or it's dark onstage, a cable gets yanked and next gig it won't work, anything that can happen will. I've had to solder a guitar jack on 10 minutes before a gig more than once, and quite a few times because it's the only cable the bass player has and suddenly it won't work...we have 10 minutes to be onstage and he's sweating bullets...

Carry a small flashlight to gigs, spare batteries, (I use AC Adapters, batteries are too frustrating) extra cables, extra strings, extra picks, extra tubes, touring pros carry spare amps and guitars...Learn how to solder and carry a soldering rig, spare jacks, heat shrink, strippers, an so forth. I keep a soldering rig in a small bag ready to go with everything I need already in it, including a few paper towels to use for tip cleaning and an extension cord.
      Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Working...
      X