Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on vulcanized fiber

Hello
    I´m a regular visitor to this forum, but a little bit lazy at writing.
    This time need some help on vulcanized fiber. I´m sick of the StewMac parts. Which size is used in different pickups. I´ve found a company laser cutting parts, but before I place an order, i want to be sure. I´ve already created the dxf-files with TurboCAD for cutting, but different manufacturers use different fiber-sizes. The magnet size(length/diameter) differs also. What do you use?
    5000 pieces cut wrong would be no fun.
    The following pickups (Bottom and Top)are of interrest:

Strat
    Tele
    Jazzmaster
    Jazz Bass
    Precision Bass
    Jaguar

Thank you for your help

Ps.I´m also interrested in selling some afterwards-got to do them wright if I want to. I´´m located in Germany. Anyone visit Frankfurt Music Fair 2008?
    www.t-rod-guitars.de

Personally I use 5mm magnets. That's about 0.197, so I would be looking for a hole in the flatwork of about 0.190. Length is really of no importance for strat or tele (as far as flatwork is concerned). Top flatwork should be about 0.063 (1/16th") thick and bottom about 0.095 (3/32") I may be interested in well cut flatwork if the price is right.
    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Wouldn't we all!
      It's just wire wrapped around some magnets!

Comment

Originally posted by Sportbernd View Post
        Hello
        I´m a regular visitor to this forum, but a little bit lazy at writing.
        This time need some help on vulcanized fiber. I´m sick of the StewMac parts. Which size is used in different pickups. I´ve found a company laser cutting parts, but before I place an order, i want to be sure. I´ve already created the dxf-files with TurboCAD for cutting, but different manufacturers use different fiber-sizes. The magnet size(length/diameter) differs also. What do you use?
        5000 pieces cut wrong would be no fun.
        The following pickups (Bottom and Top)are of interrest:

Strat
        Tele
        Jazzmaster
        Jazz Bass
        Precision Bass
        Jaguar

Thank you for your help

Ps.I´m also interrested in selling some afterwards-got to do them wright if I want to. I´´m located in Germany. Anyone visit Frankfurt Music Fair 2008?
        Jonson will be there. He'll be looking for JazzBluesRock so he'll probably have a red carnation in his lapel if you look for him.........
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Very interesting, especially for JazzMaster and Jaguar flatwork!

The diameter I use is .194" for Stat and Tele. .187" for P-Bass and Jazz Bass.

Let us know if you have some news!

Good luck.

Comment

Frankfurt:-

Hi Sportbend, yes I will be there from thursday 13th till the end and would gladly buy you a drink and say hello. No carnation as Spence said but If you are going then I'll pm my mobile no to you.

Comment

I cut my own flatware using a large laser engraver, so I can fit whatever magnets I choose to use for any design.

I, too, have considered offering flat work but I wonder if there's any kind of consensus as to magnet diameter for certain pickups or whether or not doing custom cutting jobs would be the way to go. That is, if someone orders a minimum amount of flat work pieces then I could cut the magnet holes for the diameter they use. It's fairly simple to modify the designs to accommodate simple changes.

Just thinking out loud here, and maybe something like this could work out for the original poster.

Cheers,
              --
              Don

Comment

plans

At the moment I´ve used a diameter of 4,7 mm cutting the magnet holes. No problem to change that in the DXF-Files. StewMac uses 4,6mm. I used 5mm mags with no problem fitting them in the past. I plan to let the company cut the standard sizes(Strat,Tele,) and offer custom flatwork for other designs by cutting them myself with a CNC-router. I´ll have the magnets custom made in germany in different sizes.
                At Frankfurt Music Fair I´ll look for covers and other parts. I´m really concerned about good fit of all the parts used.
                Originally posted by idylldon View Post
                I cut my own flatware using a large laser engraver, so I can fit whatever magnets I choose to use for any design.

I, too, have considered offering flat work but I wonder if there's any kind of consensus as to magnet diameter for certain pickups or whether or not doing custom cutting jobs would be the way to go. That is, if someone orders a minimum amount of flat work pieces then I could cut the magnet holes for the diameter they use. It's fairly simple to modify the designs to accommodate simple changes.

Just thinking out loud here, and maybe something like this could work out for the original poster.

Cheers,
                --
                Don
                I plan to be there on friday 14th. Would be glad to meet and great. Let´s have a drink.
                Originally posted by jonson View Post
                Hi Sportbend, yes I will be there from thursday 13th till the end and would gladly buy you a drink and say hello. No carnation as Spence said but If you are going then I'll pm my mobile no to you.
                www.t-rod-guitars.de

Comment

Working...
                X