Crate BV-60H power but no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate BV-60H power but no sound

I have a Crate BV-60H. I loved the sound the amp always had, though I am by no means an expert. I hadn't played it for a awhile and when I did it would power up, the tubes would light up but no sound. I took it in to a shop to have it looked at, and they replaced the power tube but still could get no sound. He said he wasn't sure and couldn't help anymore than he did. He recomended someone else but I havent taken it there yet. I thought I would see if anyone else had had this situation so I could be a little more informed customer. Ive read a lot of complaints about power supplies and resistors being skimped on by crate, could that be related? Are there any things I can check myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Even if it WAS a cheap part, a competent tech should be able to find the bad part.

Crate stuff is not the most expensive, but they tend to work. I doubt the problem is cheap parts, even if they are cheap.

No sound? Check the speaker. CHeck the wires to the speaker. Make sure the speaker is connected to the proper jack. Flip the impedance switch back and forth. MAke sound on either setting? Check the solder under the speaker out jacks. With the speaker removed, check continuity through the output transformer speaker winding.

Now with all that OK, proceed to live testing. Connect the speaker and mains power. Start looking for high voltage - B+ we call it - on the tubes. Does the light come on in the standby switch? It should. is ther B+ or about 460VDC on pins 3 and 4 of each power tube socket? SHould be. If missing on pins 4 then look for an open R92, 5 watt 150 ohm resistor.

There are some ICs in there, is there a good +9 and -9 volt supply for them?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X