Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunn 120 Watt valve head, no sound. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn 120 Watt valve head, no sound. What to do?

A friend of mine has brought me his amp for repair. Its a Sunn all-valve amp rated at 120 Watts, with three 6L6 tubes in the power section. Anyway, whats happening is that on both channels, there is almost no sound and its distorted, both channels sound the same, very quiet and distorted. Any idea what could have gone wrong?
    Amps: 15 Watt DIMCO valve amp made in New Zealand in the '60s, Fender Performer 1000, Sovtek Mig-50.
    Guitars: Fender USA American Standard Strat and Tele, LTD MV-200 (Modded), Ibanez S Series (modded), and cheap Cort acoustic with Fishman.

Play hard, sound good

It sounds like an oscillation of some sort. Trace a signal through it with a scope and you should be able to see where the problem is.

Greg

Comment

yeah, the only problem being i don't have a scope. What confuses me about this amp is it was literally fine one day and bung the next
      Amps: 15 Watt DIMCO valve amp made in New Zealand in the '60s, Fender Performer 1000, Sovtek Mig-50.
      Guitars: Fender USA American Standard Strat and Tele, LTD MV-200 (Modded), Ibanez S Series (modded), and cheap Cort acoustic with Fishman.

Play hard, sound good

Comment

Originally posted by flyingtele View Post
        with three 6L6 tubes in the power section.
        Three? That's an odd number. For 120 Watts, you want 4 to 6 of them.

Does this amp have an FX loop or pre-out/pwr-in?

Hope this helps!

Comment

Fine one day and not the next?

Everything works until it doesn't.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Moose View Post
            Three? That's an odd number. For 120 Watts, you want 4 to 6 of them.

Does this amp have an FX loop or pre-out/pwr-in?

Hope this helps!
            lol I meant four!

Play hard, sound good

Comment

Originally posted by flyingtele View Post
              lol I meant four!
              Dang! There went the easy fix.

Comment

Working...
              X