How to prolong the life of tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prolong the life of tube

The tube guitra amp is very better in sound warm sepciall distortion. It make each man who hear it want to take it home ASAP. But there is disadvantage in tube guitar amp. It is too expensive, not only its price but also high cost of its useage.Commonly you have to replace tube one or two years. You have to replace power tube in couple. Ecah time, you must adjust their biasing carfull.
    How to prolong your tube life and save money for you. I think it is interesting problem need us discuss deeply.
    http://www.kldguitar.com

Every time you post you ask questions but never offer anything in return.

The nature of this community is to give, as well as receive.

Do you have anything to offer?

I've posted this question in one of your threads before, and you didn't respond, so I'll ask it again:

You work for a company that builds guitar amplifiers. You are asking basic design questions. Why don't you ask your own research and development team these questions, who would readily have the answers?
    Stop by my web page!

Comment

"Ecah time, you must adjust their biasing carfull." Not if cathode biased (AKA self biasing).

Reducing plate current and/or plate voltage will prolong tube life. Reduce current too far and tone suffers, listening test will show how low you can go.

But a lower voltage cathode biased amp won't sound as loud on a stage as a higher voltage fixed bias variant (whatever factors that can be equal, being equal).

At the end of the day the tone, envelope & power desired largely dictate voltages, method of bias & currents. if you like 500v at 35mA, fixed bias, then that is what you will run and live with replacing tubes as often as required. At the end of the day a pair of new tubes every year or two is not a big deal.

Building an amp that does not run it's tubes very hard & lasts a long time on the same set, is easy enough. Making it sound like an amp that someone wants to buy play through will be the hard part.

What will you say when someone asks why your 2x6L6 amp only makes 20W, when most 2x6L6 amps make 40-60W? What will you say when a player says he can't gig with the amp because it sounds cold & sterile...because you built it to last a long time, rather than sound good?

Comment

Regis,I dont think you will get an answer,from all the posts I've seen,it seems he is the R&D team.

Comment

Ya, I knew that... Just proving a point.
          Stop by my web page!

Comment

1. Use reliable tubes (bad tubes have bad cathode material, they die sooner)
            2. Stay within spec for the tubes
            3. PCBs and tubes don't mix unless you're careful, there is a lot of heat produced by tube circuitry
            4. Run the heaters around .3-.5 volts lower
            5. Use a standby switch

Comment

Working...
            X