Dimarzio pole pieces, hex head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio pole pieces, hex head

Hi all, I am trying to approximate a super distortion, and was wondering if the hex head polepieces Dimarzio uses are heads on a screw, or a long srew like a set screw? Any info greatly appreciated. I'm not trying to rip them off, as I have made high output 'buckers fine by myself, but I'm experimenting a bit, and am just curious! Thanks in advance....

Shannon
    Shannon Hooge
    NorthStar Guitar
    northstarguitar.com

They are just hex head set screws. That and a ceramic magnet.

I have one I could measure, but I'm not home until tomorrow morning.

Someone here might know off hand.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Super Distortion DCR

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      They are just hex head set screws. That and a ceramic magnet.

I have one I could measure, but I'm not home until tomorrow morning.

Someone here might know off hand.
      It's 14.25K

Comment

Originally posted by Ruel View Post
        It's 14.25K
        I meant the size and length of the pole screws... but that's god to know also.

Do you know what size screws it uses?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Will try to measure the size of the allen screws as soon as I get home tonight.

Comment

unhardened

according to the dimarzio patents they are unhardened set screws which would make sense, but, don't seem very soft to me.

Comment

Things I've gathered so far....

Their website gives a lot of info away... ceramic mags, 13.68 K (actual measured might vary, as demonstrated above), brass baseplate. I've looked at pics on e-bay and the baseplate is solid, so the srews are probably only 1/2 inch. Thanks for the info, I figured they were probably set screws, so I am going to convert some adjustable bobbins to take a larger set screw than a #5, maybe a 6 or 8 size. Too bad nobody make a brass baseplate. I may have to make one myself.

Here's another curious bit, I've heard that brass, although non magnetic, actually helps push up the bass frequencies, which is why some people like them on a Tele bridge pu. This seems odd, since brass is non-magnetic. What's your experience?

Thanks again!

Shannon
              Shannon Hooge
              NorthStar Guitar
              northstarguitar.com

Comment

http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--...Brass--PROD393

Brass baseplates are out there. Here is one source.

here is another link regarding inductance. And adding metal to the pickup unit and its effect on tone.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ght=inductance
                www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Awesome! Thank you!!
                  Shannon Hooge
                  NorthStar Guitar
                  northstarguitar.com

Comment

oh yeah, i forgot to mention, GJ has the hex slugs but you will have to drill the holes larger in the bottom of the baseplate to accomodate them. They are just long enough where you have to make the mod if you're using the .125 height mags.

You can get black oxide ones at various fastner stores on the net. Most don't tell you the type of steel alloy it is though.
                    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Most set screws seem to be "Grade 8" which is pretty hard. I did a google search for mild steel setscrew and had a few hits but no luck in the end. This might be a job for a custom screw co.
                      What would be the most popular size?

Comment

I think it would be fairly easy to heat them to non magnetic and allow then to cool slowly (vermiculite is a good way) to undo the hardening. Then again, a lot og work for one pickup!
                        Shannon Hooge
                        NorthStar Guitar
                        northstarguitar.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          Do you know what size screws it uses?
                          measurement taken from a Paf pro screw:
                          #5-40 hex head screw
                          Grade: ?
                          Length: 0.6250
                          Head: 0.2010
                          Screw diam: 0.1225

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonH View Post
                            Here's another curious bit, I've heard that brass, although non magnetic, actually helps push up the bass frequencies, which is why some people like them on a Tele bridge pu. This seems odd, since brass is non-magnetic. What's your experience?
                            It is likely that the brass baseplate is suppressing the higher frequencies by means of eddy-current loading, causing the lower frequencies to become more prominent in comparison. It may also be moving a resonance by reducing the coil inductance. Hard to tell without some lab work.

Comment

I've tried finding 5-40 hex drive. They'r a bit harder to source. How would stainless work for a pole piece? I'm still a little out of my depth with the magnetics...
                              Shannon Hooge
                              NorthStar Guitar
                              northstarguitar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X