spot welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spot welding

I am getting a surplus spot welding portable unit.
    Is there any warning before I begin using it? Goggles? Gloves?
    Thanks

Until you get to know the nuisances of the machine, a good pair of pliers/vice grips to hold your part, leather gloves, and safety glasses would be a must. If a spot welder is set too hot for the material and thickness you're welding, it will cause the weld to undergo expulsion, which basically means it'll shoot sparks. Big spot welders are more of a concern than smaller ones, but the danger is still there.

Once you get it, post up the brand/model number and the controls and I'll explain how to set it up and what each control does (if it's not evident from their name).
    -Mike

Comment

I still haven't got it, but it seems to be an easy to operate unit.
      It is a DURO DYNE TSP-2 I just picked off ebay.
      I have looked in their web and it looks like an earlier model, but it is supposed to be in good working condition and anyway I just can't wait to have it here.
      Here is the link to the owners manual in .pdf http://durodyne.com/xephr/view/spotw...c=in-45760.pdf
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, I thought it would be a toy thing but it is not!
        It's quite big and heavy and the timer works flawlessly. That's the only control in this unit, the timer. I have already soldered some scrap metal sheet and I like it. I just can't wait for the time to make my own support legs for amp transformers, small shields and such.
        The timer has a point were there's no control taken so the welder keeps heating the pieces more and more (orange color). It takes a frantion of a second to weld two pieces together neatly with almost invisible marks on them. Works with galvanized metal too, it puts out a bit of sulfureous? thick smoke but the result is great too.

added: And yes safety glasses are a must. In one of my attempts there were some spark spluttering.

Comment

Working...
        X