Open winding in my neck pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open winding in my neck pickup

Hi all I have an open winding in my Texas Special neck pickup. Can this be fixed by handwinding and preserving the sound?

Can you see where the wire is broken or does it just read infinity on a meter?
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

Comment

It reads open (infinity) on my meter.

Comment

I was thinking that if you could see the break and it was on the "finish" side of the coil it would be easy to unwind it until the break. Since you can't see it, it is probably against the magnets (poles) which is where they mostly break down.
        -Stan
        Stan Hinesley Pickups
        FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by rcullens View Post
          Can this be fixed by handwinding and preserving the sound?
          I would think the hand re-wound version would sound better actually.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I did rind a broken wire on the outside. Where would I try unwinding from?

Comment

The way I would do it is to remove the coil wire finish (usually the white lead side) from the eyelet and unwind until you get to the break. I would then re-solder the "other side" of the break to the eyelet. If you can see the break it shouldn't remove that much wire and the original tone should be retained.
              -Stan
              Stan Hinesley Pickups
              FaceBook

Comment

It was a short break and it was fixed easily. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I did the same operation four day ago, on a fender nocaster pickup.

Comment

Just for the help of others who may read this thread, When I get a recent(90's and newer) Fender pickup in that is "dead", maybe a quarter of them are due to bad connection at the eyelet, and just reflowing the solder while giving the iron tip a twist in the eyelet is enough to fix 'em.
                    If it IS a coil break, yup, just unwind till you find it, hopefully sooner than further in the coil. FWIW, I think the Texas Specials sound a bit better missing a few winds

Comment

Working...
                    X