Need a new PT, overbiased EL34?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new PT, overbiased EL34?

Hey all. I know nothing about electronics.

I've modded up a single-ended class A amp that runs a 12AX7 into EL84 to take an octal tube, which wants a 25W bias. Now I'm running a 12W EL84, 25W I can make happen; however, the PT will catch fire. PT is 35W power draw, 260VAC and 6.3VAC

I need to run a 12AX7 6.3V@0.76A filament, and can probably get away with that on the EL34L but really it wants 6.3V@1.5A.

As far as I understand (I NEVER get straight answers from EEs, they'er like "duh look at the impedance on the components" and I'm like "A filament IS NOT A COIL DAMMIT"), if I grab 6.3V@2A filament leads and jack it into the filaments in parallel, the 12AX7 will keep the same voltage and resistance and draw the same current (0.76A); the EL34 will draw 1.5A.

By this logic, I need 260VAC on the PT and 6.3VAC@(>=)1.5A on the filament output. So I'm looking at a Hammond HX-270DAZ on RadioDaze, 76VA (wattage?), 260-0-260 secondary (I guess that's 260VAC), 6.3V@3.5A available off the filament coil. I can figure out what to do to the circuit to control the current draw (shouldn't be too involved). Good enough?

http://radiodaze.com/hammond01.htm
    Music Tech Wiki!

Originally posted by bluefoxicy View Post
    Hey all. I know nothing about electronics.

I've modded up a single-ended class A amp that runs a 12AX7 into EL84 to take an octal tube, which wants a 25W bias. Now I'm running a 12W EL84, 25W I can make happen; however, the PT will catch fire. PT is 35W power draw, 260VAC and 6.3VAC

I need to run a 12AX7 6.3V@0.76A filament, and can probably get away with that on the EL34L but really it wants 6.3V@1.5A.

As far as I understand (I NEVER get straight answers from EEs, they'er like "duh look at the impedance on the components" and I'm like "A filament IS NOT A COIL DAMMIT"), if I grab 6.3V@2A filament leads and jack it into the filaments in parallel, the 12AX7 will keep the same voltage and resistance and draw the same current (0.76A); the EL34 will draw 1.5A.

By this logic, I need 260VAC on the PT and 6.3VAC@(>=)1.5A on the filament output. So I'm looking at a Hammond HX-270DAZ on RadioDaze, 76VA (wattage?), 260-0-260 secondary (I guess that's 260VAC), 6.3V@3.5A available off the filament coil. I can figure out what to do to the circuit to control the current draw (shouldn't be too involved). Good enough?

http://radiodaze.com/hammond01.htm
    A 12AX7 at 6.3v draws only 300ma of filament current. The EL34 is 1500ma and the EL84 is 760ma.
    If your PT is well made and worth a grain of salt, rated at a real 6.3v@2a with a 100% duty cycle, you might be able to run all three at around 2.6a.
    ...and of course, the other will run forever is it is rated at 6.3v@3.5a.

Other then that I can't quite figure out what you are asking because you won't be controlling the current as the filaments will only draw what they need.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
      Other then that I can't quite figure out what you are asking because you won't be controlling the current as the filaments will only draw what they need.
      I know zero about electronics, this was probably the missing piece of the puzzle.
      Music Tech Wiki!

Comment

Working...
      X